running my carr Rambler flat out whilst "attenuating" with my drive pedal

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5300
is this a good idea?  sounds pretty good but as a relative noobie to this i wouldnt really know....any thoughts please
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1623
    Presumably tubes won't last as long.  Also if your drive pedal's set to cut volume it's also cutting some of the signal from the guitar, which means you're not getting the full toanz.

the other thing is that if you accidentally turn the pedal off the Rambler will shake the neighbourhood and give you heart failure.

It's a good idea though and indeed i do much the same

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72770
    Assuming you mean putting the pedal in front of the amp, not in the loop (does it even have one?), it won't make any difference to the valves if the final volume is low - it's no different to turning down the amp.

If it sounds good it is good. The only risk is as said, if you accidentally turn off the pedal and go Back To The Future :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5300
    thanks.....no effects loop on the amp,,,its just pedals out front,,,,
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31743
    I often ran tubescreamers in a similar way with 100w non-MV Marshalls years ago, as the old TS808s have a slightly sweeter spot just below unity gain on the level control.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    Kinda defeats the purpose and benefit of those gorgeous Rambker cleans, imho
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5300
    I still enjoy them as well...but nice to get some different tones going
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    ICBM said:
    Assuming you mean putting the pedal in front of the amp, not in the loop (does it even have one?), it won't make any difference to the valves if the final volume is low - it's no different to turning down the amp.

If it sounds good it is good. The only risk is as said, if you accidentally turn off the pedal and go Back To The Future :).
    Once did just that with an SLP reissue & 4x12 on 8 in tthe front room ! Thought there`d been an explosion for a second or two...lol.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72770
    It's a serious hazard with amps like Matchlesses that have a defeatable master volume with a push-pull control. If you've got the preamp cranked right up and the master low to get distortion at low volume and then you accidentally bypass the MV it can be a real new-underwear-required moment :). Inevitably you're standing about a foot from the speakers too :)).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• matonematone Frets: 211
    I was sat about a yard in front of the thing ! Still laugh about it now !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom