Lighting, again!

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
edited March 2016 in Live
So, we have purhcased a set of lights (these) from Thomann.de and we are looking at improving the way they work with the set etc. Our thoughts at the moment are:

1.  We need an interface of some description. Current thinking is the midibuddy and a laptop to create "scenes" for us to flick between using a footswitch. 
2.  Future plans is a full midi track for each song so each track gets its own light show (or drummer is good with clicks and does this set up in the other band he is in. Sadly, he doesnt know any of this technical information). 

So, I was thinking midi buddy, midi footswitch and get the bass player etc to jump around doing the show until we go with the click track idea. A few questions have popped up which are: 

1.  With situation 1, could you tap tempo the lights? 
2.  With situation 2, could you override it manually for extra long solos, outros etc etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    edited March 2016
    How sophisticated do you need your lighting to be? I'd be tempted to use its Sound to Light capability to change colours, and step on the blackout switch between songs, or just at the end of set.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412

I would agree with Roland,  go sound to light and blackout using a preset in the controller or if the controller doesn't have any presets then a cheap DMX controller will. The full on lights mapped to song tempo is great if you have moving fixtures and lasers but with static lights all you can do is change the colours and sound to light does an ok job of that. 

www.2020studios.co.uk