Speaker Dilemma

strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2470
I keep wanting to switch speakers in my Matamp 1x12 cab.

I ordered it with a G12M Greenback as my 2x12 cab has a pair of Heritage G12H 55s in it and I wanted something a bit different.

I didn't gel with the Greenback (it had a funny midrange thing going on which the Heritage Greenback didn't have), so I changed it for a G12M-65 Creamback (which sounded much closer to the Heritage Greenback to my ears).

It's improved the cab, but I still find it lacking in top end detail.

I'm now torn between trying a G12H-75 Creamback and just buying a Heritage G12H 55 to match the other cab.

The appeal of the Creamback is the higher power rating (you could run a compact 50 watt head through it for instance), and the fact that it should sound a little different to the Heritage.
The appeal of the Heritage is that I know they sound great, but then I don't want two cabs that sound identical. Also the Heritage has a very distinct "voice" and you hear a lot of the speaker and not as much of the amp through it.

Anyone tried both?
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72774
    Yes. Get the H75 Creamback - for all the reasons you listed.

...plus that I've seen three faulty Heritage G12H-30s - more than all other Celestion models put together, ie manufacturing faults rather than being blown.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2470
    Well that's decided then, should be here for the weekend
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2470
    It's funny how you can play a four figure guitar into a four figure amp and then have to deliberate over spending £100 on a speaker!