Weird problem with my EHX Soul food

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited March 2016
    ^ To be fair, it's not a myth. Some buffers (especially those in mass-produced pedals) are very mediocre- not unity gain, or change the tone slightly (or both). And put a bunch of mediocre ones in a row and those degradations add up.

That being said, the soul food one is very good indeed. I'm guessing it's the klon buffer, which is well-regarded.

Interesting that yours had a ticking thing that turning on the buffer cured- I guess it is worth a try to turn it on, just in case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    Dave_Mc;1000756" said:
    ^ To be fair, it's not a myth. Some buffers (especially those in mass-produced pedals) are very mediocre- not unity gain, or change the tone slightly (or both). And put a bunch of mediocre ones in a row and those degradations add up.

That being said, the soul food one is very good indeed. I'm guessing it's the klon buffer, which is well-regarded.

Interesting that yours had a ticking thing that turning on the buffer cured- I guess it is worth a try to turn it on, just in case.
    Yes but that's the myth. Buffers don't equal tone sucks. Poor circuit design equals tone sucks. Often buffers are needed or desirable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    Teetonetal;1000829" said:
    [quote="Dave_Mc;1000756"]^ To be fair, it's not a myth. Some buffers (especially those in mass-produced pedals) are very mediocre- not unity gain, or change the tone slightly (or both). And put a bunch of mediocre ones in a row and those degradations add up.

Yes but that's the myth. Buffers don't inherently equal tone suck. Poor circuit design equals tone suck with or without a buffer. Often buffers are needed or desirable.[/quote]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Dave_Mc;1000756" said:

Yes but that's the myth. Buffers don't equal tone sucks. Poor circuit design equals tone sucks. Often buffers are needed or desirable.
    Oh ok I get what you mean now. Yeah I agree 100%.

Only thing is you need to be careful when you say that that people don't misunderstand you (like I did :)) ) because it's a bit like saying it's not the fire that burns you, it's the heat- you need to point out it's still a very bad idea to put your hand into a fire!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom