Pickmaster

What's Hot
thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2805
Does anyone else use these?  I love mine and dig the designs that can be had.  I'm particularly fond of using creditcards but they're just not quite perfect depth for me and ideally I'd like to use something slightly thicker.  Does anyone have an ideal source of plastic?  Can you recommend an alternative product to be plectrumed?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The wife's tupperware? Those plastic cartons your chinese come in?

I too like used credit card - especially when I can get the embossed numbers to be where my thumb grips the pick
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    When I started out and thought you had to use a pick I used the snipped off teeth from combs.
  • I've got one too, I quite like experimenting with different thicknesses & "flexiblilities" of plastic. The lids from take away cartons are indeed pretty good- I like a flexible pick, especially when playing my acoustic. 

I also got my wee girl to do LOADS from white paper & we used them as confetti at my brothers wedding (he's a guitarist too).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Bought one as a present for my brother and couldn't cut a plectrum out of any kind of plastic, either tore or jammed.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2805
    I've got one too, I quite like experimenting with different thicknesses & "flexiblilities" of plastic. The lids from take away cartons are indeed pretty good- I like a flexible pick, especially when playing my acoustic. 

I also got my wee girl to do LOADS from white paper & we used them as confetti at my brothers wedding (he's a guitarist too).
    That's a great idea re confetti!  Somewhere there is the perfect lid waiting to be found by me.
    IIRC the lids from cottage cheese cartons weren't bad. When I was 16 I used to cut them up with scissors and file the edges
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I know the new nectar cards are a perfect 0.88 mm thickness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2418
    DVD cases are great !
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    I can't play big picks any more due to me being a Jazz III user. The Pickmaster picks are a bit rough and I couldn't find anything that was thick enough for me that it would cut.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• There's a wee patch of sandpaper on the underside of the handle if you find your results a bit rough.
    There's a wee patch of sandpaper on the underside of the handle if you find your results a bit rough.
    wow I didn't know that. when I get home I'll look for it
  • I've had one of these for years, and just decided to use it this week. I took my old National trust membership card for the most middle class plectrum ever - with my name on no less. But I shredded 3 of them into very sharp hurty things within half a set last night. Any suggestions for something I can use that might feel like a 1mm dunlop like I've been using forever? And maybe not fall apart instantly with all the pick slides I do?
    (I have a pocket full of shredded dunlops as well since I started using D'Addario Xl 10-52s, which sound awesome and last for more than two gigs as well)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Yeah, I've got a suggestion.

A 1mm Dunlop.

People spend thousands on gear and then use a shit plectrum, why?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Jack_ said:

A 1mm Dunlop.

Well said. 
  • Jack_ said:

A 1mm Dunlop.

The 0,55mm rigid stainless one are better
  • I do make my own picks but I'm guessing PM wont cut 6.mm thick perspex right?

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    I do make my own picks but I'm guessing PM wont cut 6.mm thick perspex right?

I'd love to try those
  • Jack_ said:

A 1mm Dunlop.

I really don't though, I generally play the same shitty strat copy I've had since 1989 through an 80s Roland Cube and a bunch of cheap pedals.
    And there is no tonal difference between the 1mm dunlop and the bit of an old credit card that I can hear.
    I'm just trying to save money on a very small piece of plastic that gets shredded to unusability every gig I do.
    I once had a couple of expensive picks, they too got shredded to nothing, and sounded no different.

YMMV