POG or HOG or something else?

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Okay, in all seriousness I am considering one of these. But not sure which one.

I want to do some synthy sounds, real ambient stuff, but also want to add some low-end octave stuff for high-gain riffs - fancy titting about with that kind of thing.

Or should I look at something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    HOG is insane and unique. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2016
    For low octave do you need mono or polyphonic tracking? I honestly think analogue octaves sound way better for monophonic octave down. But a digital unit will do poly and faster tracking. I used to have a Micro POG, does exactly what it says it does. However the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe I have now sounds so much nicer to me for mono octave down, it might be a 'bass' pedal but it sounds just as good on guitar.

I haven't tried the Pog2 or Hog, but if they've got the same tracking as the Micro POG then it'll be dead on and fast, so I'd pick on required features.
  • Basically my advice is get 2. Whichever EHX for the chord/texture stuff and something analogue for the octave down single note stuff.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Hmmm.. polyphonic is more my bag I think.... but I dunno tbh.... not well versed in these sorts of pedals having never really used them aside from a quick tit around here and there.

I used to have a Whammy DT which was great, but couldn't really find a use for it in my music. I'm kinda hoping something a bit more synthetic would inspire me more than the Whammy did.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    Basically my advice is get 2. Whichever EHX for the chord/texture stuff and something analogue for the octave down single note stuff.
    Or get a POG2 and a MIDI interface for it :)

R.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Get a BUZZBOX.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2016
    There are plenty of cool demos of the EHX stuff, but if none of them inspire you to put similar sounds on your own music then it might not be worth getting one, likewise whammy etc. Chord swells making fake organ sounds is fun though I didn't find I used octave up much on my Micro POG in the end.

Basically my advice is get 2. Whichever EHX for the chord/texture stuff and something analogue for the octave down single note stuff.
    Or get a POG2 and a MIDI interface for it :)

R.
    That will still sound like a digital octave down though, my point is that for mono octave down I genuinely feel analogue sounds better. 

My feeling with the POG was for single note octave down it seemed too fast, bright, and 'digital', if that makes sense. Analogue octaves seem to track slightly (tiny tiny bit) later which seems to help with feel, kind of like when a bass player plays behind the beat. It is a cliche but they sound fatter and warmer top, which I think translates to a bigger sound for riffing. IMO YMMV etc, but they are different and excel at different things. For poly tracking the EHX stuff is very good.
    I wanna make my guitar sound like a MicrowaveXT or other wavetabley type of synth.
  • Boss SY300?
    Deijavoo said:
    Get a BUZZBOX.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Deijavoo said:
    Deijavoo said:
    Get a BUZZBOX.

you rang?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I was lured by the HOG and to be honest, although it was capableof some pretty cool stuff, I found nothing that I could realistically use in my music! Add to that the size of the thing, the remote preset switch (which itself is the size of an old-style EH Microsynth) and the necessity of an expression pedal,and that's half your pedalboard gone!

I had a POG2 (which I really quite regret selling) which I thought was more usable and was almost as versatile as the HOG without the size.

Currently I am using a MicroPOG for the octaves and have recently added a Freeze and SuperEgo for synthy/ droney stuff. Just gettingmy head round what the SuperEgo can do, but it's quite good being ab;e to use it's own effects loop to add modulation etc independent of the rest of the signal.

Uncharacteristically helpful, but there you go!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    dogload said:
    I was lured by the HOG and to be honest, although it was capableof some pretty cool stuff, I found nothing that I could realistically use in my music! Add to that the size of the thing, the remote preset switch (which itself is the size of an old-style EH Microsynth) and the necessity of an expression pedal,and that's half your pedalboard gone!

I had a POG2 (which I really quite regret selling) which I thought was more usable and was almost as versatile as the HOG without the size.

Currently I am using a MicroPOG for the octaves and have recently added a Freeze and SuperEgo for synthy/ droney stuff. Just gettingmy head round what the SuperEgo can do, but it's quite good being ab;e to use it's own effects loop to add modulation etc independent of the rest of the signal.

Uncharacteristically helpful, but there you go!
    agree, the super ego is amazing for synth sounds, the fx loop really adds to the pedal.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    I know you like Boss stuff so consider giving the Boss MO-2 a spin.

It does all the polyphonic tracking stuff really well. 

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I liked the mo2 but felt like it only really had one sound. It was a fun sound though especially with delay.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    I honestly think analogue octaves sound way better for monophonic octave down. 

You're not wrong. Analogue sounds miles better than digital, not even close, but will only cope with single notes. Fifths at a push. 

Anything more complex than that and it'll fire pure bullshit back at you.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Do you still have your H9?
    Do you still have your H9?
    Nope!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

I prefer the Micro POG over the EHX octave multiplexer. In fact the POG is one if only 2 digital pedals I have and I think it sounds great. All my dirt and midulation is analog, octave is the only effect where I prefer the digital version (with the down octave only at least). Nit tried the MXR one though.