Lifting Fret

What's Hot
BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
I've got a fret partially lifting off the fretboard on my Jazz Bass, it is at the 13th fret and only really causes trouble on the G string. Is the solution to this a tube of super glue and a small wood clamp?

Many thanks in advance for your learned replies.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    That's the accepted "fix" yes, you only need a tiny dab of the thicker superglue
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    You're playing at the 12th fret on the G string, on a bass?!!

That's both of your problems right there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    ICBM said:

Outrageous behaviour - I Know. : >
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    edited March 2016
    ICBM said:

I'm not ashamed to say that when I gigged as part of a duo (with a guitarist who played mostly rhythm) and used a Musicman Bongo I more than once was seen to bend up from the 24th fret on the G ( I used very light strings, still do) :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    I admit to playing above the 12th fret as well occasionally - although in my defence, only on the E and A strings. I use the G string on one song too, although only up to the 6th fret I think.

I must be getting better at it…

Anyway, the answer to the question ;) is yes - a small amount of superglue (I would use thinner stuff actually, so it wicks in under the fret better) and a clamp should fix it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein