I need a car -recommendations?

What's Hot
My 13 year old car has finally given up the ghost - it's worth very little if anything.

I'd prefer to own rather than finance - that sets the budget at around £10-12k.
Criteria are: 
Big enough to lug amps and guitars
Manual gearbox
Sufficient oomph to overtake on country roads when needed
Reliable and not liable to breakdown every other journey (my current squeeze managed 100k miles of my driving and never gave me any issues)
Mileage under 50,000 ideally

Not bothered on petrol or diesel.

So are there any hatchbacks/estates that meet that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    There must be dozens of options!

Octavia VRS estate mebbe?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I've just bought a 1.4 Honda Civic which meets all your criteria except oomph. I love it. Really quiet and comfortable and does very clever stuff with the seats.Ok it's slow but very economic. I paid £8000 from a Honda dealer so it comes with a years warranty and all the benefits of the used Honda scheme. It's a 2013 model, 15,000 miles, 1 owner, full service history and immaculate. Highly recommend it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    Sporky said:
    There must be dozens of options!

Octavia VRS estate mebbe?
    Would be high on my list. I have a Golf that I like very much but the Skoda is probably a better buy at 3 years old.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Skoda Octavia.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Octavia VRS would be legit...I'll also put a MKIV mondeo into the mix. We bought one that was 12 months old with 22k on the clock in 2011, with full titanium spec for 12k..Best 12k I ever spent. Space for days and an absolute beaut to drive for such a big car (although not overly quick on the 2.0 diesel as it's so massive, there's a lot of weight to it!) 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    You can get a nice Honda Civic 1.8L or even a Type-R (EP3) with your budget and plenty of change left over. They will be reliable, plenty of room and has a bit of oomph.

Or the Octavia VRS is very good too!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    Second hand Audi RS6
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Mondeo estate.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4722

The VRS is a good option, petrol or diesel.  Mondeo's are fine, you could always remap a 2L TDCi to be pretty quick.

Possibly a bit out of budget, but the Focus ST estate would tick all the other boxes and has plenty of power.

Second hand Audi RS6
    Good suggestion but probably pushing the 10-12k and under 50k miles.  £30k would do it though
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Save your money and buy my Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi estate for £2500.
    It's a 57 plate with 139,000 miles on it but is in great condition and runs like a dream. Spacious enough for all your kit and tons of oomph - we had it loaded up in the rear with camping kit for 4 people, a small trailer with our tent and inflatable canoes, and a roof box full of cooking gear. The 4 hour trip to the Lake District was a breeze, accelerating easily from 60mph in 6th gear to get past trucks etc. And fuel economy came in at 50+ mpg for that journey. I get 45+ just round town.

In Peterborough, but I'll even bring it to you if you're interested.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've not heard good things about Ford and reliability though.

The Octavia looks interesting - will go and browse.
    Are Civics actually big enough for transporting guitars and cabs?

Auto trader has so far highlighted:
    Octavia
    Honda Accord Tourer
    Audi A6
    Seat Exeo 

Any experiences or knowledge of them?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72469
    edited March 2016
    I've not heard good things about Ford and reliability though.
    Strangely enough my trusty mechanic says Fords are on average the most reliable and have some of the least expensive parts if they do go wrong.

You may not want my recommendation but I've had no bother with my Renault Grand Scenic, which is by far the most practical car I've ever owned as well as reliable, cheap to run and wasn't even expensive to buy since everyone thinks Renaults are worthless second hand. I bought it at three years old for a third of the then new price and I've had it seven years and 70K miles.

You will get a fabulous low-mileage Scenic for £10-12K. I would get the petrol 1.6 not the diesel - cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix and better to drive.

You can get an entire Ampeg 6x10" bass cab, SVT head and your bass case *in the boot* in the Grand Scenic - not even needing to fold the seats. The short Scenic isn't bad either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    AlexHunter;1007183" said:
    .Are Civics actually big enough for transporting guitars and cabs?

Yep. They'd probably even go in upright. Honda call them "Magic" seats. Definitely worth checking out and Honda always come out well for reliability
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3823
    edited March 2016
    Whatever you decide on be sure to test drive as many examples as you can...till you find THE ONE...that drives like butter...and literally pisses all over the others.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Honda Accord is a good shout too, lots of kit, lots of space and reliable.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4647
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've not heard good things about Ford and reliability though.

The Octavia looks interesting - will go and browse.
    Are Civics actually big enough for transporting guitars and cabs?

Auto trader has so far highlighted:
    Octavia
    Honda Accord Tourer
    Audi A6
    Seat Exeo 

Any experiences or knowledge of them?
    Two 2x12s 6U rack system plus 3 guitars happily fit int eh civic tardis with the Seats down. They also do an estate version of the civic.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited March 2016
    I'd take a look at this, it's a 2012 in the middle of your budget, hatchback with heated leather and 22k on it. 8.0s to 60mph, so should have suitable shove for country lane overtakes too. It's a only 1.4 but turbo and supercharged, so it'll be reasonable on fuel when you aren't pushing it. My mate had one, and it was surprisingly quick (I had a Saab 2.3 Aero at the time, so I was used to travelling quickly!). My brother had this shape and age of Golf albeit in diesel guise and he was more than happy with it. 

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Octavia Scout - has 4wd on tap if you need it. The extra body trim and slightly raised suspension looks good as well.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    edited March 2016
    Octavia VRS is probably the best shout there. The Leon, Golf and Octavia are all the same car underneath, and the Exeo is a previous generation A4. To be honest, the VAG reliability crown has slipped a bit in the last few years, and actually if you want something very reliable and cheap then a Mk5 Gold GTTdi would be worth a look. It'll cost under £6k and the old 1.9 is bulletproof and cheap to maintain. It's not hugely fast by modern standards but is a great car. You could get an E90/92 3 series for that sort of money but the diesels are known for blowing turbos if driven hard
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72469
    I really wouldn't buy a diesel. OK I admit I'm biased and I just don't like them, but unless you're doing high motorway mileages at steady speeds there are good practical reasons why petrol is better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom