Anyone tried the new Celestion Creamback Neo?

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
Couls be tempted if they actually sound half decent. Can't find any clips online though.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

New one on me, Bet they are pricey!

Dave.

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Same price as the H ceramic magnet creamback apparently.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7912
    I had the new century G12 neo's in an open back 2x12. They were like an ice pick in the brain.

They wouldn't break in, I stick with them for a year, then traded for broken in V30's. Never looked back.

Now use creamback and Celestion Blue in a semi open 2x12. Über delighted. Would rather have the back pain than the headache.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • From the plots we've taken (we're going to be doing a lightweight cab with  Neo Creambacks), the Creamback is more scooped than the G12 Neo at around 1.5khz and has considerably less  top end at 2.5-4khz. Rolls off a bit steeper than the G12 also. As soon as I hear one in the flesh I'll report back.
    Matrix Amplification Product Elf and Guitar Demonstrator!
    @lightninboy thanks for the info. Sounds like they will be a lot smoother than the G12 Neo.

Any ideas what sort of cab you are designing? I'm tempted to build some sort of 1x12 cab out of 12mm ply with a creamback neo, as a lightweight option.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

They're in stock now at Lean Business.

I've ordered a pair for my personal 2x12, and will report back when I've tried them! :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @martinw Excellent news!  Look forward to hearing your thoughts.  
    tFB Trader

I fitted them yesterday and gave them a run out at a rehearsal last night.

The weight difference is very noticeable!

Sound wise, in the short time I've played through them, I can't say I'm hearing too much difference to the Greenback-ish WGS Invaders that were in my cab before. They're balanced, with nice mids, not too bright or thin, more than enough bottom end, and to be honest, If I hadn't known that I'd swapped them, I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Which is a good thing, right? :) (I really like the Invader).

Obviously I'll need to get used to them and try them in various rooms and with various guitars, but my early feelings are good. They're way lighter, similar priced and sound at least as good.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    martinw;1037050" said:
    I fitted them yesterday and gave them a run out at a rehearsal last night.The weight difference is very noticeable!Sound wise, in the short time I've played through them, I can't say I'm hearing too much difference to the Greenback-ish WGS Invaders that were in my cab before. They're balanced, with nice mids, not too bright or thin, more than enough bottom end, and to be honest, If I hadn't known that I'd swapped them, I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.Which is a good thing, right? :) (I really like the Invader).Obviously I'll need to get used to them and try them in various rooms and with various guitars, but my early feelings are good. They're way lighter, similar priced and sound at least as good.
    Difficult question to answer I know, but how would you compare them to that Jensen Neo of mine?
  • a couple of weeks ago I used a pair in a zilla with a victory 40 head, and they sounded very nice - but that amp is a good one.. so its tricky.. but the deciding factor would be weight - the zilla felt as if it was empty...  so...
    tFB Trader
    simonk said:
    martinw;1037050" said:
    I fitted them yesterday and gave them a run out at a rehearsal last night.The weight difference is very noticeable!Sound wise, in the short time I've played through them, I can't say I'm hearing too much difference to the Greenback-ish WGS Invaders that were in my cab before. They're balanced, with nice mids, not too bright or thin, more than enough bottom end, and to be honest, If I hadn't known that I'd swapped them, I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.Which is a good thing, right? :) (I really like the Invader).Obviously I'll need to get used to them and try them in various rooms and with various guitars, but my early feelings are good. They're way lighter, similar priced and sound at least as good.
    Difficult question to answer I know, but how would you compare them to that Jensen Neo of mine?

Yes, it is difficult. It may be an obvious and slightly useless thing to say, but I'd say the Creamback does a very good job of sounding British, whereas the Jensen (which I also like) sounds more American, or neutral.
    >:D<

The Creamback does sound like a typical Celestion, with more interesting mids, which is something I've not heard before from a Neo speaker. early days though yet!

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    martinw;1037127" said:
    simonk said:

martinw;1037050" said:I fitted them yesterday and gave them a run out at a rehearsal last night.The weight difference is very noticeable!Sound wise, in the short time I've played through them, I can't say I'm hearing too much difference to the Greenback-ish WGS Invaders that were in my cab before. They're balanced, with nice mids, not too bright or thin, more than enough bottom end, and to be honest, If I hadn't known that I'd swapped them, I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.Which is a good thing, right? :) (I really like the Invader).Obviously I'll need to get used to them and try them in various rooms and with various guitars, but my early feelings are good. They're way lighter, similar priced and sound at least as good.

Yes, it is difficult. It may be an obvious and slightly useless thing to say, but I'd say the Creamback does a very good job of sounding British, whereas the Jensen (which I also like) sounds more American, or neutral.

>:D< The Creamback does sound like a typical Celestion, with more interesting mids, which is something I've not heard before from a Neo speaker. early days though yet!
    Yeah, that's why I asked as I don't find that Neo Jensen to sound like a typical Jensen.
    Thanks, Martin.  Sounds like Celestion could be on to a winner here then!

Now, do I get two of these and make my 2x12 cab lighter or get a 1x12 (with a neo) as a superlight option...  Just looking and actually the Neo's are only 1.3kg lighter, each, than the g12t-100's already in the cab.  I guess 2.6kg difference would probably still be noticeable though.
  • Would love to hear a 4x12 with these.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26687
    martinw said:

>:D<

The Creamback does sound like a typical Celestion, with more interesting mids, which is something I've not heard before from a Neo speaker. early days though yet!

You might want to try out the neo speakers that Matrix put in their NL212 cabs - they sound surprisingly V30-like once broken in. In the cab, though, they sound closer to the V-Type I think - slightly less pronounced mids, and a more balanced low-end.
    <space for hire>
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    edited May 2016
    If they sound as good as the regular Creambacks these will be a really great speaker!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    They sound great to me
    Maybe a little slow on the attack side but I replaced one and had one can running an alnico blue
    I couldn't tell which was which without lifting them so to me they sound fine
  • phase3phase3 Frets: 41
    +1,
    Just replaced a pair of G12 Anniversary's  with Neo Creambacks and big thumbs up.
    They lose a tiny bit of top and bottom end to the G12's and i mean tiny.  Nothing that one notch on T & B controls can't restore. Yes they are just a little bit slower on attack but in a good way, there's almost a bit of built in compression. So you can dig in on the clean without things getting harsh.
    Yup ...i'm well pleased and the combo is 6kg lighter !!!!!!
    Oh nearly forgot ...they really do sound like a creamback 75 !!  Happy days
    It's excellent these are getting such praise! I think I will give up on a 1x12 and just put a couple of these in my 2x12. Should make it fairly light.