Chorus pedal recommendations

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
edited March 2016 in FX
I want to add a chorus to my cleans...I've had the micro chorus in the past, and hated the way it boosted my volume...so not going back to that.

I would prefer analog, but could be swayed away...if i had the money, I would get the EQD Sea Machine or the WA Julia...but i dont have that much money right now...and i also want something simple, im more of a set and forget type of guy rather than tweaking settings all the time.

so...tell me...whats been your favored chorus pedal?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    I'd normally suggest the MXR but seeing as you didn't get along with it...

EHX small clone is cheap sounds good and is available as a nano now so smaller footprint. Simple 1 knob.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    edited March 2016 tFB Trader
    I have had probably every bloody chorus going at some point. My favourite compact ones are the; mr black double chorus, analog man chorus with deep switch. Large chorus wise I love the moog chorus flange and the roger Mayer voodoo vibe plus. Budget wise you cannot beat the arion stereo chorus especially the fat version.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I have thought hard about the double chorus too...good to know you like it Thorpy
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9616
    There is a Dr Scientist (cheap) in the classifieds... One f my fave choruses; that and the lovely Tortuga Martini...
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    samzadgan said:
    I have thought hard about the double chorus too...good to know you like it Thorpy

it's a very gooey chorus, or rather it can be, really nice and very much recommended.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Wazmeister;1012403" said:
    There is a Dr Scientist (cheap) in the classifieds... One f my fave choruses; that and the lovely Tortuga Martini...
    If i get Dr Scientist it would have to be the zombie version...purely for asthetic reasons!

But i did have a play with one for a while at a shop, and could not work it out...way too many features for my simple mind!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    The MXR Anolog Chrous is a good cheap bet, much more control than the Micro Chorus (I too hate the volume bump).
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28750
    Boss DC-2. Or a DC-3, but they're practically the same price now.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    Minimoog chorus is hands down the best chorus I've used.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    CE-2 or Small Clone. Both have their own character. Both analogue. I have a Small Clone for sale in a multi at the moment. If no one bites I suppose I could strip it and put it into a single.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I have loads of chorus pedals and thus far, my favourites are the Boss CE-3, Boss DC-2 (actually, I just have the Behringer clone, but that sounds great) Ibanez Bi-Mode Chorus and a clone of the Boss CE-2 I made which has extra switches for intensity and speed range, plus a stereo output ( + & - phase).
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Sporky said:
    The DC-3 is a very different sounding pedal to the DC-2 (which is my personal fave chorus). I've tried the DC-3 a couple of times and found it really difficult to get a satisfactory sound from it. It can work if you keep the effect dialled right back but it's not one I would recommend as an all purpose chorus.

The DC-2 or its clone from Behringer are the easiest chorus to use. Its simple button select layout and the spatial sound it gives with minimal modulation is just beautiful.
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    I use a CH-1 and its a very subtle Chorus.  I like it.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I get all my modulations now through my Mobius. Chorus is great on it but it is expensive
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I use the Digitech multi chorus. As lush or as subtle as you like and goes for cheap too, I have no plans to update anytime soon. Dilbert
    JezWynd said:
    Sporky said:
    The DC-3 is a very different sounding pedal to the DC-2 (which is my personal fave chorus).
    I had both at the same time, and I found it fairly easy to get DC-2 sounds on the DC-3. Not, perhaps, cork-sniffingly identical, but so darned close that the DC-3 would have done.

I do agree that the simplicity of the DC-2 is a winner though - five sounds, each more beautiful than the last. In any order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2016
    ... DC-2 is a winner though - five sounds, each more beautiful than the last. In any order.
    I'm being pedantic (it is a pedal) but it has four sounds, unless you include it turned off.

Nope, 5 sounds.

1-4 correspond to having button 1, 2, 3 or 4 pressed in. If you gently press a button so that it pops out any other selection (ie all buttons "off", you'll get sound 5 which is different from the others.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Nope, 5 sounds.

1-4 correspond to having button 1, 2, 3 or 4 pressed in. If you gently press a button so that it pops out any other selection (ie all buttons "off", you'll get sound 5 which is different from the others.
    Never knew that, I'll have to give it a try. The Behringer is apparently more flexible in that you can have combinations of buttons depressed which the Boss manual specifies you should avoid.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    I've got a TC Corona.  I know it's digital but I actually prefer it to the analogue chorus I had before. 

I've got the toneprint loaded with a Dimension C setting - not sure what version it's based on.  The standard chorus setting is quite usable as well.  So far I've not experienced any reliability issues with it like I have with other TC products.

The nice thing with the toneprint is that you could try about 20 different choruses and find the one you like best.  You can always go out and buy that if you want.