Maestro FZ-1A Fuzz

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12962
Hi folks

I have a North Effects "The Primitive" which is basically a clone of the Maestro FZ-1A. 

I really like the sound, but its battery only and has no LED. Does anyone know of anyone else who makes a fuzz based on this circuit, or any kits? Poodle pedals don't have one.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Why not mod it? It's not an original so you shouldn't be ruining the value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    They're just nasty dude. Can't say I've ever felt the urge to build one. 

If you want something that does nasty better, get an Ibanez Standard Fuzz clone. JMK does a board for that, and it's all kinds of nasty (in a good way).
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12962
    I've just discovered that EHX do a "Satisfaction" fuzz which gets pretty close to this sound (although apparently its closer to a Jordan Bosstone than a Maestro). 
    I'm puzzled why you don't just fit it with the LED and jack. Having looked at pics of them you're not even going to be ruining the graphics :).

I notice it appears to be a 1.5V supply but that wouldn't be hard to get around with a resistor and a Zener diode.

Cheaper than a new pedal and less likely to break than an EH.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12962
    ICBM said:
    I'm puzzled why you don't just fit it with the LED and jack. Having looked at pics of them you're not even going to be ruining the graphics :).

I notice it appears to be a 1.5V supply but that wouldn't be hard to get around with a resistor and a Zener diode.

Cheaper than a new pedal and less likely to break than an EH.
    I know, but I don't have the parts, or a drill, and I'm not sure I'd be confident in modifying it to go from 9V to 1.5V. 
    I know, but I don't have the parts, or a drill, and I'm not sure I'd be confident in modifying it to go from 9V to 1.5V. 
    It's easy - just two components, a 1.5V Zener diode and a resistor. I did actually wonder if you could use the LED itself since a red one has a forward voltage of about 1.5V, but that would mean powering the circuit only when the effect was actually on, which I think would make it pop or thump loudly when switched.

Even if you can't do it yourself it's got to be cheaper to pay someone who can than buying a different pedal, and you can be sure of getting the same sound.