Pedal case with low front edge?

What's Hot
clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
Hi all, first post, but I've been enjoying this place for years and learned a ton, so thank you, and I hope to give back as I go.

I'm looking for a new case/board for my pedals and I'm hoping you can help me.

I'm currently using a Boss BCB60 after going down the Pedal Train route and realising that solution doesn't work for me.

The Boss case gives me space for the few pedals I need, decent protection, and a light, simple construction, two pieces which are detachable so one side acts as the pedal board.

Problems for me are:

-that stupid front row edge, so I have to lift my foot off the floor to activate a pedal instead of just rocking my foot on my heel to click on a (mostly Boss) pedal. Might sound insignificant but that's how I roll...
-crappy latches
-would like to have something more solid and "flight case"-y
-too much space wasted inside the case.

Does anybody have any thoughts for a better solution, available in the UK?

The size of the Boss case is fine, and I much prefer the 2-part case thing over the board inside a case thing.

Thanks in advance all!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• garfygarfy Frets: 144
    I'm having a flat board two tier board made by Custom Pedalboards. I've had a similar problem with rocking my foot onto pedals using an in case system. Check them out.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Cheers thanks :)

I'm hoping there's an "off the shelf" case out there I haven't found yet, but if I end up having to have something built I'll bear them in mind, appreciate the suggestion :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24663
    Have you thought about grinding a hole in the stage to lower your board 20mm or so?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anyway

The Holey Board is low: http://www.chemistrydesignwerks.com/holeyboards.html

And the ToneTrunk 45 is low too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the ideas, but what I have in mind but I appreciate it.
    edited March 2016
    Can you draw what you want? I can't imagine a lower front board than the Holey or the Tone Trunk.

Either by general design or because anything lower would mean a smaller board thickness with no room for rigidity strengthening. It would flex like mad.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8767
    My singer has the same problem. I'm making him a flat board: plywood plate with lifting handles, that he can drop into one of those briefcase shaped boxes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Get a SMORG Tier board from @dindude on here - immense!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    robwright said:
    Get a SMORG Tier board from @dindude on here - immense!
    Wisdom'ed

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Like the clean look of the Smorg boards I just searched out :)

@Fretmeister, the problem I have is the lip on the Boss BCB60, it's like maybe 2 inchs high give or take.  Yes, the boards you and the other posters have suggested would solve the problem, but I'm looking for a case that is a board, not a board inside a case. 

The Boss case is a 2-piece jobbie, you remove one half, the lid, and the other half of the case is the board.  It's just something I personally prefer, I've been down the "separate board with case" route and I prefer the case=board idea :) 

Gotcha!

Alas, in 28 years of being a pedal junkie I can't think of anything that is a case and doesn't have the edge lip. I fear you are into custom land. 

Cheers, I think I agree with you! :)

I'll keep an eye out, the lip just has to be low, can't be beyond the wit of man :)

It's not just a preference thing either.  Like, the reason Boss pedals are in the middle of the Boss BCB60 is cos if they're any closer to the front of the case you can't engage them, weird...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Swan do some good value boards where the lid removes completely.

But I think any design that has a lid will also have a lip, this isn't such a problem if you have the traditional  type of foot switch that sticks up (MXR style) like on almost everything but a Boss pedal, but with a boss it does become an issue.

Doesn't really help I know
    :)
    Thanks for the heads up on Swan, might be an answer or two there, cheers! :)