1235»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    Thanks man. I'm on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17818
    tFB Trader
    Deadman said:
    That 5:2 thing is working for me. I've lost 8 pounds in two weeks.

I'm finding that no breakfast is key for me. If I don't eat it, I don't feel hungry until lunchtime, much like some of you other guys on here. Normally I'm gnawing my hands off by 9am.
    Same with me. 
    If I eat breakfast I'm desperate for something to eat by 10:30, but if I don't I sometimes forget to eat lunch and end up having it about 2pm. 
    I've not bothered with 5:2 and instead skip breakfast, eat muesli for lunch and eat normally in the evening (which will will include a glass of wine, or a couple of biscuits if I'm so inclined)
    I feel brilliant, much more consistent energy levels and better mood.
    Nearly 6 weeks in and I've gone from 18' 1" to 16' 11" 
    I found I dropped like a stone for the first two weeks then plateaued for a week or so then started dropping slowly but consistently. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's brilliant. I'll start having treats after the first month again, I'm just so determined at the moment to stay disciplined so that I'm not disappointed on my weekly weigh-in and start to think negative things like "what's the point?" It's all in the mind as they say.

Not having breakfast feels to me like giving your guts a break from the last big meal (ie. tea/supper the night before). Most people say it's the most important meal of the day. In my experience, it just gives your brain the green light to demand more food. Not good. It's probably different for others though.

Good luck with yours Monte. You must feel good!

How's everyone getting on?

I've lost 15 pounds now. I'm half way to where I want to be. I'm eating lots of fruit all day now and having a proper dinner at 7pm with lots of good nutrients. My calorie intake is no more than 1500. I never go hungry.

Once I lose the other 15 pounds I'll be focusing on weight maintenance. Think I'm allowed iro 2000/2200 calories.

On a side note it's been great dropping from a 38 waist to a 36. Even the 36 is starting to feel big. 34 next!
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I do the 5:2 fasting diet as well.

Typically on the fasting days I have a scrambled egg (nothing added - no milk) with a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit of ham for breakfast.  A cuppa soup for lunch and in the evening either a piece of salmon or chicken with vegetables only (no spuds, chips or bread).  During the day I just drink black coffee.

You can vary the diet days if you going out etc.  So it's very flexible.
  • Since my last post I've done fuck all exercise, eaten an epic amount of shit and I think my alcohol intake has increased. Fact is, I really can't be fucking bothered with anything atm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    That's pretty much been me for the past 4 years. Something switched on in my head a couple of months ago and it doesn't seem to be a chore to eat properly now. 

Currently at 16' 9" which puts my BMI under 30 for the first time in years. 
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Whatever you do has to be able to become part of your routine. The 5-2 diet is fine but what happens when you stop it. Also I know it's hard to out exercise a bad diet but the benefits of exercise on you are far greater than just burning calories will your doing it. For one it will increase your metabolic rate after you finished the work out. You ll generally have more energy so will be more likely to do other stuff through out your day. Plus you ll feel more positive and happier.
    I've stopped the 5:2 thing. I'm eating very healthily and like monq something has triggered in my head and it's pleasurable eating all this new stuff.

3 miles walking a day is good for me now. I'll increase the pace (ie. jogging) in the coming weeks.
    tFB Trader
    birdo said:
    Whatever you do has to be able to become part of your routine. The 5-2 diet is fine but what happens when you stop it. 
    I believe you are supposed to go to 6-1
    I know a chap who dropped a load of weight on 5-2 and has subsequently been doing 6-1 to maintain. Seems to be working for him.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    monquixote;11685" said:
    bigdawg said:

Despite what any papers or books or articles say if you want to lose weight breakfast is essential (to me at least) just something like a small bowl of porridge or a couple of poached eggs and it stops you craving food usually until lunchtime - if however you eat sugary cereals they are actually best avoided as it now seems that eating sugary foods has most people craving more sugar and then obviously you start eating when you wouldn't normally.

But that's the thing, I don't. Everyone says "You have to eat breakfast because otherwise you will eat more" I don't eat until 2pm most days when I eat a bowl of sugar free muesli and I then eat dinner about 7pm and I don't consume any other calories during the day as a result I've lost a stone. 

If there is actual research showing that there is something special about breakfast then I'll continue doing what I've done for the rest of my life which is cramming food I don't want into my face first thing in the morning because it's "good for me", but if not I simply don't want to eat in the morning and it has no impact on what I eat throughout the day because my meals are planned in advance. 
    Wouldn't be surprised if you were starving your body of vital morning nutrients and vitamins, and boosting yourself until 2pm with caffeine.
    edited September 2013
    For example if you do a couple of half hour jogs a week you are going to burn probably no more than 700-800 calories. 
    A couple of pints and a kebab is going to blow that away with change. 
    Not true. It is totally dependent on how fast you run, the rest periods you maintain, and what you use to recover.

Judging by my measurements from RunKeeper I tend to burn about 330-400 calories per-run. I run 4 times a week. That's 1324 a week at the bottom end. It's called the afterburner effect and is related to HIIT:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/afterburner-effect-melts-away-fat/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

It is true that diet has a large impact, but so does cardio.
    birdo said:
    Whatever you do has to be able to become part of your routine. The 5-2 diet is fine but what happens when you stop it.
    Depends on your age and metabolism, and what you eat on the 5 days. You're more likely to go back to your unhealthy eating habits after a fasting diet, which is why so many people lose a bunch of weight, and then put it back on slowly when they stop.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Wouldn't be surprised if you were starving your body of vital morning nutrients and vitamins, and boosting yourself until 2pm with caffeine.
    I don't drink coffee. 

One of the things I've noticed is that I have really great energy in the mornings now. I spent 3 hours doing hard work in the garden today and I felt fine whereas when I was eating shite I'd have probably started feeling like I was going to pass out. 
    Drew_fx said:
    I don't drink coffee. 

One of the things I've noticed is that I have really great energy in the mornings now. I spent 3 hours doing hard work in the garden today and I felt fine whereas when I was eating shite I'd have probably started feeling like I was going to pass out. 
    Tea? Energy drinks? Soda? Even green tea has caffiene in it. So does Oolong and Jasmine tea. There aren't that many drinks (aside from water!) that don't have caffiene in them. Even fruit juices have it in!
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Tea? Energy drinks? Soda? Even green tea has caffiene in it. So does Oolong and Jasmine tea. There aren't that many drinks (aside from water!) that don't have caffiene in them. Even fruit juices have it in!

Mostly just water. I do have the occasional cuppa (didn't today though), but it's not really what you'd call a caffeine hit. 
  • I've lost what I want too with the 5:2 so I now still have two days a week where I eat less, but not as strict as before, and that's working to keep from putting anything back on.