Does this exist - external LFO generator for pedals ??

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Lots of pedals have expression inputs to control various parameters and what not. I was thinking it might be cool to have a box that generates a waveform that you could plug into these inputs in order to get some life out of them. Anything like that exist?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited March 2016
    it's a small build so if you can't build yourself you should be able to find someone who could make it for you for not a huge amount.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/file/n26646/Shoot_the_Moon_LFO.png

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Shoot-The-Moon-LFO-tp26570.html

this build will give you an adjustable lfo (fast or slow, sine or choppy) expressed in the flashing led. put a photoresistor infront of the led and run your signal through it.

thanks to zach (rocket88) at gfx for the layout.

you can probably get a moogy thing or an lfo synth module for big money that does the same thing, but an lfo is an lfo.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Grind also have a PCB for that called the PLFO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    edited March 2016
    Source Audio Reflex.

I are using one with the Helix, but it'll work pretty much anything with an expression or MIDI input. Three expression outs, three simultaneous MIDI controllers, all working at the same time if you want, and presets that'll sync to MIDI program changes. Also it has an expression pedal that can control the speed of the LFOs (or not) and will work from MIDI clock.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/reflex_universal_exp_controller.php

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server300/dks6ju/products/7583/images/70573/SA163_1__22440.1436986261.1280.1280.jpg
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Wow. Cheers dudes!

I'm not sure I would need expression control over it Sporks, but it might be worth considering.
    I spent a while looking and only found that and the EHX 8-step as pre-made.

You can fix the LFO speed so that the treadle doesn't affect it, but the toe switch does turn it on and off.

Also you get sine, triangle, sawtooth, square and S&H waveforms.
    Ah - forgot that I'd found this too:

http://www.copilotfx.com/broadcast.html

Only about a tenner cheaper than the Reflex after import duty, VAT and fees though.
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Meant to ask this in the other thread about the reflex, probably a stupid question but does the LFO thingy only affect pedals designed to accept that signal or can you use it in any expression in jack?
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:
    I spent a while looking and only found that and the EHX 8-step as pre-made.

You can fix the LFO speed so that the treadle doesn't affect it, but the toe switch does turn it on and off.

Also you get sine, triangle, sawtooth, square and S&H waveforms.
    Out of interest, what else can you do with the toe switch?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12940
    keir said:
    Meant to ask this in the other thread about the reflex, probably a stupid question but does the LFO thingy only affect pedals designed to accept that signal or can you use it in any expression in jack?
    Don't know about the Reflex but I'm fairly sure the EHX 8-step works like that. 
    Nowt else with the toe switch (other than calibration and setting the MIDI in channel) - it just turns the LFOs and expression on and off. There's been mention of a USB editor that might add other stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

Kier - the LFOs can be used with the expression outs into any pedal that has an expression input - it's then as if you were wiggling the pedal. All seven outputs can be the treadle (with linear or logarithmic taper, settable maximum and minimum and invertable), or any LFO (which can be speed-controlled by the treadle or set to a fixed rate) or off. Or a fixed value. And you can set that per preset.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    There are oscillators buil into the gt10 that you can use to control parameters
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Sporky;1015817" said:

Kier - the LFOs can be used with the expression outs into any pedal that has an expression input - it's then as if you were wiggling the pedal. All seven outputs can be the treadle (with linear or logarithmic taper, settable maximum and minimum and invertable), or any LFO (which can be speed-controlled by the treadle or set to a fixed rate) or off. Or a fixed value. And you can set that per preset.
    That's nuts! I can see my vp Jr. being upgraded in the near future! Can this be done to devices connected via midi too?

Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    Yup - all seven outputs are configurable in the same way. Three expression jacks (which can be set as CV outs), three MIDI CCs and the Source Audio link out (which I suspect can be used as a fourth expression jack with an adaptor cable).
  • eurorack would do it, its not cheap though!