You Band's Websites - Hosting and How Much?

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
We need to set up a new band website (or we might just leave it as a Facebook only).

What hosting services do you chaps use, and how much does it cost you?

Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412

United hosting @ £5 a month ............. not sure it's needed now, Facebook has made it redundent 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Danny1969 said:

United hosting @ £5 a month ............. not sure it's needed now, Facebook has made it redundent 

That's pretty much what we're thinking. We're generally a pub covers band but we do a few parties and weddings, but we don't market ourselves as that, just seems more "proper" to have a website, but £5/month probably won't be worth it.
    Danny1969 said:

That's pretty much what we're thinking. We're generally a pub covers band but we do a few parties and weddings, but we don't market ourselves as that, just seems more "proper" to have a website, but £5/month probably won't be worth it.
    I know what you mean. I've tried to make our site literally about that, it's targeted for weddings and parties and all the normal stuff like pissed photos from last nights gig go on Facebook.

http://www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/      you could probably use Free Parking to host your's for £2 a month, Our's is £5 but mainly cos it allows 500mb of space which used to be a lot but probably isn't now
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26591
    Probably not much use to you, but I have mine on one of my Linode servers (same service I use to host this forum). I think that server costs me about £20/month.
    <space for hire>
  • In my opinion, what a band really needs in order to sell themselves is a good set of photos - regularly updated at gigs to show you are a busy, popular band that goes down well - and good quality video clips.
    Get someone with a decent camera to come along to a gig and take a mixture of live and posed shots - don't be afraid of posed shots! - and look at the camera.

Facebook makes things a bit easier in that you can send people page invites, lock them into regular news by getting them to like you, etc....Then try and strike a balance between regular posts to keep your page active and not bombarding your likers with loads of posts that start to get annoying.
    I would place spending money on a bespoke website as waaaay down your list of priorities.

oh and as ever with these things, I am preaching to myself too here, really need to pull up my socks on a number of the above points....

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited March 2016
    In my opinion, what a band really needs in order to sell themselves is a good set of photos - regularly updated at gigs to show you are a busy, popular band that goes down well - and good quality video clips....

oh and as ever with these things, I am preaching to myself too here, really need to pull up my socks on a number of the above points....
    Good points and a good reminder.

We have got the ubiquitous facebook page but we've also got this:

http://nakedapes.co.uk/

Which is £35 a year for the hosting (from Easily), and I bought the website template for $2USD because we didn't need anything too fancy.  Just something that would look okay on mobiles too.

We keep it up to date with the info etc.  Funnily enough I was sorting out the email yesterday because the template had a script which launched a contact form.  And of course for every legitimate enquiry there were a dozen Nigerian princes, Russian brides, and offers of supplements to make my nob so big it would need a f*cking red light on top.  So.... I'm quite chuffed with the groovy ASCII art email addy on this page which hopefully is bot-proof.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17615
    tFB Trader
    I pay 5$ a month for a Digital Ocean server. 

I use it for a few different sites though.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    We have occasionally had this debate. We have Facebook (run half arsedly by me) and twitter (which has a whole life of it's own but run by our singist) and I can't really work out what a website would add. I think it was Dave's point that a poor/ out of date website might even do more harm than good.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

We have occasionally had this debate. We have Facebook (run half arsedly by me) and twitter (which has a whole life of it's own but run by our singist) and I can't really work out what a website would add. I think it was Dave's point that a poor/ out of date website might even do more harm than good.
    It's SEO .... type in Hampshire wedding bands in google  for example and look at the results, there's a lot of work comes from that. Facebook doesn't do shit SEO wise as far a I know, it's internal based and linked to what it thinks is relevent to you 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    What I like about FaceBook is that it puts the entries into my iPhone calender so I can see who and when they are playing in advance. Wish the pubs that I follow would all do that, makes my life that tad bit easier. 

Also, good to see videos on Facebook (sometimes you don't know what that band sounds like till you get to the pub/gig). 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Danny1969;1018632" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

It's SEO .... type in Hampshire wedding bands in google  for example and look at the results, there's a lot of work comes from that. Facebook doesn't do shit SEO wise as far a I know, it's internal based and linked to what it thinks is relevent to you 
    Fair point. If you Google a band's name it looks like their Facebook page does come up so if it is somewhere to store photos, list gigs and to be able to direct people to it then Facebook does it; you can also link it to things like a venue Facebook.
    I guess for us it would seem unlikely to generate paying gigs as we aren't really looking to play parties or weddings, etc.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Websites still have their place, see that as your sales brochure. Facebook, apart from mostly being a jumbled mess, makes for a useful day to day journal and a place to keep all the blurry photos of pissed people that you don't want those prospective and lucrative wedding planners to see immediately.
    We use GoDaddy for ours and really don't pay a lot.

http://www.thesupernatural.band/