Basswood is only for cheap rubbish guitars? Suhrly not?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I've played a few basswood guitars and they've been very light, resonant and less mid-rangey than mahogany. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one (if I needed a new guitar).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Basswood (lime in the UK) is fine.

Cheap, plentiful and many uses, notably in Europe the carver's wood of preference. The Wikipedia entry is very good and worth reading.

As a tonewood it does a fine job. Add Jeff Beck to the list of high profile players using it. His no 1 live Strat of some 20 years now has a basswood body.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Enough high-end guitars are made of it that i'd be a bit sceptical that it's crap.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Skarloey said:
    Basswood (lime in the UK) is fine.

Cheap, plentiful and many uses, notably in Europe the carver's wood of preference. The Wikipedia entry is very good and worth reading.

As a tonewood it does a fine job. Add Jeff Beck to the list of high profile players using it. His no 1 live Strat of some 20 years now has a basswood body.
    This. Think Lime tree, think easily snapping branches even when the sap is up.  But it sounds great and density and quality, like everything can vary.  Always a little wary of Floyd posts on Basswood though from experience.  But it varies.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited March 2016
    I played a borrowed '79 Gibson LP Deluxe for first half of gig last night & my '87 (basswood) RG550 for 2nd half - gotta say I much preferred my sound in the 2nd half 

It's a daft argument
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    My favourite guitar is probably my MIJ Tele which is definitely basswood.
    I had a MIJ Tele which was basswood.  Sounded superb.  

I regret selling it :(
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    earwighoney;1019718" said:
    historyisjunk said:

My favourite guitar is probably my MIJ Tele which is definitely basswood.

I had a MIJ Tele which was basswood.  Sounded superb.  

I regret selling it :(
    Exactly what I was going to post, the best tele and probably one of the best guitars I've ever owned was a MIJ made of basswood. Sold it during money problems and it's the only guitar I miss.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    It's neutral in tone in that it's equally comfortable with all frequencies. This makes it very flexible in terms of amps and pedals.

I'm pretty sure the Charvel Guthrie Govan is Basswood.

He can play a bit.

Your friend is wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited January 2017

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16684
    imalrightjack;71752" said:
    (with a sonokeling top - whatever that is).

Plantation grown rosewood
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Fender used alder as it was, cheap and easy to get hold of in the states.

Ibanez and the other Japanese companies used basswood as it was cheap and easy to get hold of in that part of Asia.

No thoughts on tone, just what wood was the easiest to get hold of in large quantities in that region.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There is probably a lot of truth to that, both alder and ash were new woods for guitars at that time.

But saying "it wasn't chosen for tone" does not mean it has none.

Basswood is fine.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28310
    edited March 2016
    tabbycat said:
    but i think basswood is unfairly looked down upon not because of any innate deficiencies in its own  tonal qualities, but because some of the things that get built from it are often lacking in quality.
    Certainly true for some people. I had an acquaintance who was generally quite sane about such things but dismissed basswood guitars on the basis that shipping pallets are often made of basswood. He didn't like it much when I sent him an email full of awful things that had been made of mahogany.

I'm not even sure he was right!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I own a basswood Jackson with Juggernauts in and it doesn't sound much different to my ash Skervessen with Nailbombs in.

It could really be argued that the differences in sound are mainly due to the pickups.

Ive three mahogany PRS all with different neck combinations and I couldn't tell the difference listening to them.

I still prefer the maple neck ones over the rosewood though and I honestly think that's due to the fact when I only owned one guitar it had a maple neck so for 8 years that's all I played and something feels right for me.

I could also have shit ears.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    There is a school of thought that body woods have no effect on tone anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQXy74xz4
    Neil;1020085" said:
    There is a school of thought that body woods have no effect on tone anyway.

All it proves is you can build in a way where the wood becomes less important. Its been factored out of the equation, but its still a factor for most of us.

Non wood guitars can sound awesome. Some sound similar, some sound different.

Everything affects tone.... Don't go down the rabbit hole

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    ^^^ agreed @WezV.

Everything affects tone, there is a reciprocal transfer function to every part of the instrument.  To a greater or lesser extent, every part will contribute to the final tone of the finished instrument.
    Then we put it through a fuzz or a high gain amp, and beat the crap out of it !

≈  ≈ rabbit hole alert !!!

Interestingly in the video at 4:20, they describe the bridge as "Tone wood construction" as a sales point.  Wooden bridge with wood saddles, do take a look at it.

The use of the bandana is questionable, as is the tuning stability of their concrete guitar, nice video though @Neil, and thought provoking.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    A real man can make any guitar sound good
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28310
    No true Scotsman owns a basswood guitar.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    :D There can only be one (basswood guitar owning Scotsman)