SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Core i7 920 CPU, motherboard, 8GB RAM *SOLD*

digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27034
edited April 2016 in Misc £
Having a bit of an upgrade at the end of the week, so my current desktop guts are on the block:

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz CPU (quad core)
Asus P6T SE motherboard - 2 x PCIe graphics card slots, Firewire, 4 x RAM slots, full ATX
2 x Corsair (I think) 4GB modules, for total of 8GB

The cooler is a fairly big one, but only has two screws holding it in; yes, it's totally amateurish, but it works albeit with the CPU hitting about 65 degrees under full load. That's not unusual for these CPUs, so you'll probably be fine...however, I'd suggest you find another cooler if that makes you squicky. It's possible that I might have a stock Intel cooler around here somewhere, but don't rely on that.

All yours for £70 delivered.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7867
    That's still a pretty fast setup for most applications. I use mine with fairly large projects in protools without it crapping out. I have the stock cooler if you do need one.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27034
    Yeah, it's not exactly a slouch; however, I've discovered my new laptop running my work stuff a lot quicker - ie it completes tests on my work code in about 29 minutes, as opposed to about 45 minutes on the desktop. It's mostly single-threaded, so I've gone for an overclockable i5 2500k instead. Multithreaded performance is only slightly higher on the i5, but it's significantly faster in single-threaded code.
    <space for hire>
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    Pm'd

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• trolleytrolley Frets: 89
    Bollox. My home PC has just fried by the look of it
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27034
    @trolley - damn, dude. If you'd said that this morning, I'd have had a quad core AMD board and RAM going spare. As it is, my daughter nicked it for her boyfriend and it left the building this afternoon.
    <space for hire>
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 89
    In fairness it only let go at 7:30pm. Funnily enough it's an AMD setup
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    My new phone, which is a 2 year old model, is faster than my desktop.... That didn't make me happy.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

I have almost the exact same set up and it's still going strong. Mostly because I've had the cpu clocked at 4.2GHz since day one. Still not much out there that's faster even after 6 years...