Is this really a 1983 Fullerton Strat?

What's Hot
ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
edited March 2016 in Guitar

It just looks a bit too normal and clean to me.  This page says in 1983 they were only making the cheapo Standards with one tone and the jack on the scratchplate.  The earlier Smith versions have the big curvy STRATOCASTER logo and truss rod adjustment at the body end.

Any thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1739
    modellista;71921" said:
    All Black 1983 USA Fender Stratocaster (made in Fullerton plant USA) £650

It just looks a bit too normal and clean to me.  This page says in 1983 they were only making the cheapo Standards with one tone and the jack on the scratchplate.  The earlier Smith versions have the big curvy STRATOCASTER logo and truss rod adjustment at the body end.

Any thoughts?
    I'm no fender expert but regarding you saying it looks to normal n clean. I have guitars from the 60s that looks that clean so can't see that been an issue.

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2805
    I'm no expert either.  Did they use the vintage style bridge saddles in 1983?  I've seen the flatter ones used on guitars from this era.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2805
    Ooops - looking at your page they obviously did.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    thebreeze said:
    Ooops - looking at your page they obviously did.
    The bridge is one of the things that doesn't look correct for the period.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    It could be legit.

They did make some 'normal' Strats before going down that dodgy road of the jack socket on the plate in 1983. A mate has a Precision with an "E" serial that is one of the finest bases I have ever heard or played.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    The "E3" serial number should place this 1983 -1985 US made. At least the neck is I'm pretty sure?

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I think that the walnut plug makes it an early Corona neck. They kept using the E3 serial decals in 1985 after the move.

If it were an 85 American Standard though it would have a 2-point tremolo and a white pickguard so I'm saying probably a parts guitar.
    JCA2550 said:
    The "E3" serial number should place this 1983 -1985 US made. At least the neck is I'm pretty sure?

I know that but it could just as easily be a fake, or a 1983 neck on a newer body.
    I think that the walnut plug makes it an early Corona neck. They kept using the E3 serial decals in 1985 after the move.

If it were an 85 American Standard though it would have a 2-point tremolo and a white pickguard so I'm saying probably a parts guitar.
    Interesting about E3 being possibly Corona.  I can't find any photos of a genuine Fullerton neck with that truss rod / headstock / decals combination.

I reckon it's not all original, just doesn't look right to me.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3630
    FMIC carried on using the  E3 serials after they took over from CBS and until they ran out so the prefix covers more than one year.

The 21 fret neck with the walnut plug is right. It's if the body matches the neck (always a worry on Strats).

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24833
    edited March 2016
    The neck looks like it's from a Fullerton 'Standard' Strat - the walnut plug has an access hole in it - hence presumably it has a Biflex truss rod - the short-lived 'Smith era' 21 fret neck (with small headstock) had vintage-style adjustment on the heel and CBS-style 'thick' logo.

The body 'should' be the 'two knob' variant - with top routed trem and the output jack on the scratch plate. Either it's been modified, or it's a 'Smith' era body (circa '82) which had four bolt neck fixings. Black plastics weren't standard on most colours by this point. The body has the thicker top horn characteristic of Smith era guitars - though it could be a reissue - or even non-Fender....

It could be a factory built 'bitsa' - it could have been assembled at a later stage.

The price is in the 'almost too good to be true' range - as the very final Fullerton guitars are at least pieces of history, even if they're not the greatest guitars Fender ever made.

Hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    `Almost too good to be true ` is a good description of that one !
    Thanks for the detail, pretty much backs up what I was thinking.  I'm going over to see it tomorrow and will have a look in the neck pocket.  Not sure what I expect to see but it might shed some light on things.  The owner was told it was all original when he bought it 15 years ago and isn't an expert so has had no cause to doubt it.
    The neck looks like it's from a Fullerton 'Standard' Strat - the walnut plug has an access hole in it - hence presumably it has a Biflex truss rod - the short-lived 'Smith era' 21 fret neck (with small headstock) had vintage-style adjustment on the heel and CBS-style 'thick' logo.

The body 'should' be the 'two knob' variant - with top routed trem and the output jack on the scratch plate. Either it's been modified, or it's a 'Smith' era body (circa '82) which had four bolt neck fixings. Black plastics weren't standard on most colours by this point. The body has the thicker top horn characteristic of Smith era guitars - though it could be a reissue - or even non-Fender....

It could be a factory built 'bitsa' - it could have been assembled at a later stage.

The price is in the 'almost too good to be true' range - as the very final Fullerton guitars are at least pieces of history, even if they're not the greatest guitars Fender ever made.

Hope this helps.

edited March 2016
    modellista;1022290" said:
    Thanks for the detail, pretty much backs up what I was thinking.  I'm going over to see it tomorrow and will have a look in the neck pocket.  Not sure what I expect to see but it might shed some light on things.  The owner was told it was all original when he bought it 15 years ago and isn't an expert so has had no cause to doubt it.
    One other detail - the 2 knob Fullerton Strats had four bolt neck plates with a hole in for micro tilt adjustment - like current Fenders. There should be a metal disc inlaid into the heel which takes the load from the Micro Tilt hex screw. The neckplate on the picture is the 'Smith era' Strat four bolt/CBS Tele style.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72453
    edited March 2016
    I agree with richardhomer. The neck is definitely a 1st series USA Standard, from the guitars that had the Freeflyte trem and the pickguard-mounted jack. It's fairly common to find these necks on other bodies now.

The body looks exactly like a Dan Smith era - there are a lot of details which indicate this and not a later reissue or a non-Fender body.

So it *could* be factory original since these two eras are at least consecutive, in early 1983. I also thought they'd stopped using the black plastics by then too, but it is just possible that it's an "accountant special" to use up left-over parts, or an employee's guitar.

If the body is a Smith Fender, the whole lot is easily worth more than the £650 even if the neck and body didn't leave the factory together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2016
    ICBM;1022312" said:
    I also thought they'd stopped using the black plastics by them too, but it is just possible that it's an "accountant special" to use up left-over parts, or an employee's guitar.
    I remember playing a hard-tail Smith era Strat (when it was brand new) with black plastics - it was a natural Ash finish. I don't ever remember seeing a solid colour guitar with them on - but as you say, it IS possible, given what was going on at the time with Fender.

I've looked at the pictures again - and noticed something else which suggests it may have left the factory like that. The string trees are normal vintage style 'butterflies' - as used on Smith era guitars. The first series of Stsndards had the 'new, improved' Easyglide cast ones - as per modern Standards. They require two holes drilling - one for the screw and one for a locating lug which keeps it in position. The second screw hole would be visible, if the headstock had been drilled for these.

So there is a possibility that it's some weird, factory assembled amalgam of what was round at the time.

It's amazing I'm still single, with this kind of knowledge to share, isn't it?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72453
    I remember playing a hard-tail Smith era Strat (when it was brand new) with black plastics - it was a natural Ash finish.
    A lot of the hardtails were done in that colour combination, it may have been on purpose to catch the disco/funk market :).

I've looked at the pictures again - and noticed something else which suggests it may have left the factory like that. The string trees are normal vintage style 'butterflies' - as used on Smith era guitars. The first series of Stsndards had the 'new, improved' Easyglide cast ones - as per modern Standards. They require two holes drilling - one for the screw and one for a locating lug which keeps it in position. The second screw hole would be visible, if the headstock had been drilled for these.
    Excellent work richardholmes :).

It's amazing I'm still single, with this kind of knowledge to share, isn't it?
    Absolutely. I'm surprised you aren't having to beat them off with a stick.

:D

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ So what we could be looking at is a rare - possibly unique - transitional model.

I think I'd better buy it quick....
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Perhaps someone took it home `one piece at a time` !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    matone;1022881" said:
    Perhaps someone took it home `one piece at a time` !
    That is quite a likely explanation....