Keeley Monterey Excessive Noise!!!

What's Hot
TeeByrdTeeByrd Frets: 159
edited April 2016 in FX
Just a bit of advice please. Received my Monterey yesterday and after putting the pedal through its paces I've noticed, some negatives. I'm not sure if it's just my Monterey, but the volume that controls the mods can't be turned more than 9 o'clock, otherwise the modulation becomes excessively noisy and hissy. It's so bad I can still hear the 'swooshing' of the mod - rotary, vibe, wah - when I engage my Turbo Tuner and mute the sound. At the 9 o'clock position the noise is more manageable, but the effect is then too quiet. I can sort of get round that by engaging the fuzz side, turning up the fuzz volume to max and controlling it all from the guitars volume. Not ideal though. The fuzz is also pretty noisy if the knob is past half way. I own loads of fuzz pedal so I know they can be noisy, but in conjunction with the excessive noise from the mods, the sound can get unusable pretty quickly. It's a shame because it's a really versatile pedal, with some great sounds. Anyone got a Monterey and having similar problems? Any advice? Recommendations (other than volleying it into the local Res!)? Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Send it back.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited April 2016
    Email Robert and ask him if that's normal - he's really hot on customer service.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Interesting. I don't know any one else that's one yet.

Where did you order it from? Direct from Keeley?

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    mine doesn't do that
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    I returned a Keeley Dynatrem last year which had similar issues. The seller checked the others and confirmed that they were all similarly noisy. I know this doesn't help directly but it's a bit of background on another current Keeley product
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    darcym said:
    mine doesn't do that
    This says a lot.

Sounds like it may be faulty fella.

• TeeByrdTeeByrd Frets: 159
    Thanks guys, I'll email Keeley. I did get I from Guitar Guitar so I'll contact them as well.
    Quick update. I emailed Robert and 5 minutes later got a reply, "I'd like to send you a new one sir. The modulation side should not be noisy. Can you send your address and I will work on sending you one on Monday. Robert Keeley". Now that is some pretty damn fine customer service! I'm well impressed! Thanks again guys! PS if this post isn't in paragraphs again then that little red chevron(s) button top right isn't working on my iPad!
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Result!

Great customer service there.

• vizviz Frets: 10699

Fantastic isn't he.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    That is awesome customer service!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    And on a Sunday. Impressive.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Wow
    I'm very pleased by that
    Thanks for all the help guys! Just a quick update. My replacement unit arrived from the US yesterday and it's perfect. The mod channel is quiet as a mouse. The fuzz channel is only a tad hissy when cranked, but that's like most fuzz pedals. I can really appreciate now what a great sounding and versatile effect this really is. What a brilliant experience I've had with Robert Keeley's customer service, which can only be described as outstanding. Unfortunately Guitar Guitar have been less than understanding. They are not pleased that Keeley dealt with this personally. It's been emails back and forth, with them failing to understand anything. It took nearly a (working) week for them to finally email me details of how to return the faulty item. First they demanded a video showing all the faults, with different amps and setups. Then they told me they would decide if it was a faulty unit only after they had tested it, which would take two weeks. It took at least 4 emails to convince them that I had a replacement winging its way across the Atlantic. With their constant fannying about I've lost any kind of confidence with Guitar Guitar. Anyways, sod Guitar Guitar, I've got a Monterey back on my board and I'm a happy bunny!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • catdogcatdog Frets: 124
    I bought one yesterday from guitar guitar Glasgow , it was fine last night but today when i switched it on the modulation  channel hardly had any volume & when i turned it rite up it was just mainly hiss with a slight effect on all three settings  ..So .have i got a duff one too & what's the best course of action ? ..I really  loved the pedal when it was working & would prefer to have it fixed rather than return it although guitar guitar do have another in stock ..should i swap for the other or contact Keeley for a permanent  repair as i fear the other if i swap may end up goin the same way   
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    TeeByrd said:
    Quick update. I emailed Robert and 5 minutes later got a reply, "I'd like to send you a new one sir. The modulation side should not be noisy. Can you send your address and I will work on sending you one on Monday. Robert Keeley". Now that is some pretty damn fine customer service! I'm well impressed! Thanks again guys! PS if this post isn't in paragraphs again then that little red chevron(s) button top right isn't working on my iPad!
    did you have to return the original unit though?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>