What sounds 'right' to you may not be how it was done in the studio..

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4983
Recently I listened to a busker playing 'There She Goes' by the LAs.  He sounded close enough to what I remembered it from hearing infrequent playings on the radio, but something sounded wrong, so I looked it up on the internet.  And sure enough he played it as the videos of 'How to play...' videos showed.  Yet when I tried to play it in that style, it sounded all wrong too.  I expect that the LAs used reverb or delays on their guitars and the online videos did not so is it absolutely necessary to play everything exactly as on the record?  To these tired old ears, sometimes the wrong way of playing something sounds more right than the right way.  Assuming the online videos are right in the first place.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    If its played in a different key from the record then it will sound wrong.
    I think the original la's number is played in D and extremely tricky to sing.

I always insist on playing covers in the original keys as I find they just don't sound right no matter how you play them.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Often interesting to use YouTube to see how the original artist did it live, certainly if I'm covering a song I'd rather use a live version as a reference as I can't recreate the 27 guitar parts they had on the recording and neither can they.
    Now I can get Absolute Radio in the car that Las song is on about once an hour so I shall have to listen properly next time.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10696
    bobblehat said:
    If its played in a different key from the record then it will sound wrong.
    I think the original la's number is played in D and extremely tricky to sing.

I always insist on playing covers in the original keys as I find they just don't sound right no matter how you play them.

Argh yes like Hotel California in Am - yuk!!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    That song is in the key of D. The various videos on YT are also in D. To my ears it only sounds right if I play each 'note' in thirds. Single strings sound wrong to me. I never saw the LAs play it so my effort is a pure guess and probably wrong. Just sounds right though.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
    The original is a 12-string, isn't it? That'll be a large part of why it sounds different played on single notes compared with the record.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Nothing ever sounds right if I try to play it like the record, so I don't...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein