what audio interface?

I need to buy an SM58 and an audio interface for my nephew. Got the SM58 (incredibly cheap bundle from gear4music with cable and stand), what audio interface should I get?
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    What computer is it and what budget do you have to play with ?
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    I think it's just a laptop - does that have a big impact? Budget, well I didn't realise he needed the interface too so I blew the whole budget on the SM58. But I guess 50-120?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    For driver stability and vfm I'd always go for a line 6 UX2, these can be picked up for £50 on eBay, having 2 inputs with phantom power, for later, and excellent software
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28299
    Loads of options at a ton. I went for a Focusrite Saffire 2i2 and have not regretted it. It is a very fetching shade of red, has two mic/line inputs with phantom power and a very decent onboard headphone amp.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited April 2016
    Will check out the line 6 thanks - Yes, I've got a focusrite 2i2, which I really like, quality wise. There's a stockist on ebay selling them for £89, which I might just go for.
    The Focusrite and MAudio interfaces are equally good, in that price range it usually comes down to who does the best deal tbh
    sweepy said:
    The Focusrite and MAudio interfaces are equally good, in that price range it usually comes down to who does the best deal tbh
    OK, nice one :) thanks!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I got a focusrite scarlett in the end, though thanks for the suggestion.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634

Bit late on parade I know but...

Focusrite are to be praised for their marketing but I can never see why the 2i2 is so popular?

The early ones had very poor HZ input headroom and it is not that stellar even now. No MIDI just a pretty light show. Included DAW is not that useful (i.e. it is NOT Cubase!)

My top reccy at £100ish is the Steinberg UR22. If really strapped, Alesis i02. The Presonus Audio Boxes look good and I have read good things about Studio One.

But my top AI if you can push the boat to £140, NI KA6.

Dave.

edited May 2016
    Cheers. You shoulda commented sooner :) - never mind