PA - 10's with subs for full band??

moz91moz91 Frets: 38
Currently running HK linear 5 115 tops over KV2 ex2.2 subs but want some smaller tops for smaller gigs!
Who's got experience using 10s with a full band? Do they cut it? I've used 10s on their own for acoustic stuff to good effect but not with a sub for a full band. They'd have to take 3 vocals, 2 guitars, bass, kick and toms.
Looking at a pair of rcf art 710's. I'd love some kv2 ex10s but they're well out of budget. For bigger stuff I could then stack all 3 and have the HKs in the middle as a full range cab.
Thoughts/experiences??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    I've used Nexo PS10s that way for years. Certainly for your average pub/club/function they'll be more than fine.

I wouldn't be stacking them on top of full range tops though, that's a comb filtering nightmare waiting to happen..
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Yeah fair point, hadn't really thought about that. Would cause some phase issues wouldn't it?
    Yes, would be pretty yucky - depending on the time/phase inherent in the boxes, you could get some pretty deep cancellations that would effectively negate (or worse, reduce the level to less than a single box)..
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Yes never mix different makes/types of cabs to cover the same frequency band it will sound gash!
    10s are used in some of the pro line arrays, you will be fine for sound but don't expect loud or deep unless you take along a sub too and crossover appropriately. I would think one KV2 and a pair of ART 710s would be very nice in pubs and smaller venues, but that may defeat the logic of a smaller PA!

I'd have thought a pair of 710s and a pair of ex2.2 subs would be ample for most small/medium functions...
    I'd, somewhat naively, thought it would be easier to bring those extra cabs (the HK 15s) in to the mix too, but I presume it's not quite that simple...
    I'd be keeping the HKs so they would do for bigger stuff, maybe then using the rcf's as front/centre fills or something (thinking 400+ marquees). In the past for such jobs I've just borrowed an extra pair of HK tops. I wish there was a 10" in the linear 5 range!

Love the idea of having some smaller tops, but I guess I want something that could also integrate into a larger rig. Am I asking too much haha??
    Front fills is a different game - if the smaller and bigger cabs are not covering the same people, it doesn't matter (so much) about mixing different cabs.. It's only when the two boxes are covering the same area you get trouble..

(this is broadly speaking, if anyone wants to get into the semantics of system design, that's fine, but i'm assuming we're in a rock and roll make it work territory here!)

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Front fills for the dance floor is fine with different/short throw tops but depending upon the locatio it might be nessacary to be able to have line delay on the system controller to prevent muddiness further back. Typically I'd delay the whole sound system back to something acoustically loud on stage like the kick drum which a) helps sharpen up the FOH sound. b) further reduces any FOH vocal mic resonance/feedback. It's a bit of a moot point if all the band are on ears and using a digital kit with no amps or wedges.
  • I use RCF 10's without a sub on all my YouTube videos indoors and outdoors. If it's a big gig, I borrow a sub or two off a mate.
    Got a pair of 710's, can't see there been any problems! Ran them with 1 sub last night and had headroom for days...
    I'll see how they handle longer throws tonight. Quite middy sounding things though, especially compared to the HK 15s I've been using. Definitely had to think about how I was EQ'ing a lot more; might even stick a graphic on them