What's Hot
13»

Comments

• west said:
    Yeah, they work fine.

What a fantastic guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    I just parted with this Redwood/Koa F50 a few weeks ago. Sold to a lovely chap form Northern Ireland. Incredible guitar, build quality perfect, sustain for ever, could not find fault. But ultimately not the style I really need, and a lot of money to have tied up in something that is not 100% right for you.

I have played loads of Taylors of all price brackets, none have come close to this F50. Had a few other lower spec Lowdens as well, and they are all 95% as good really. To me, they are pure fingerstyle guitars though.

I have a J45 Legend that finger picks almost as well, but does everything else far better, hence me selling the F50. Was still painful to sell such an amazing instrument though......

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @CloudNine...

That is simply superb...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    west said:
    Yeah, they work fine.

What a fantastic guitar. 
    Cheers , it plays and sounds fab !  the neck took a little getting used to though ....
  • westwest Frets: 996
    edited April 2016
    @CloudNine ; exquisite f50  must have been hard decision to sell, cant imagine selling mine !
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    The neck I'd say is more love or hate than the sound I thought. I play mostly with a pick but the shape and feel of the neck made me want to finger pick it. It doesn't matter how brilliant it sounds if its not comfortable for you to play.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    CloudNine said:

I have a J45 Legend that finger picks almost as well, but does everything else far better, hence me selling the F50. Was still painful to sell such an amazing instrument though......
    I had an original '61 J45 that I had to sell when I needed money and I had it and the Lowden O10. I much preferred the Gibson, but the Lowden had a pickup system and I was gigging in an acoustic band with it, and the Gibson was too old and fragile to gig really.

Still a mistake which I regret after twenty years...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tbmtbm Frets: 579
    edited April 2016
    It's funny, I was going to start a thread about how I don't get the Taylor thing. Wanted to pick a up a beater acoustic to have lying around the living room that I didn't mind my kids knocking over (my little Recording King OOO 12 fretter was getting banjaxed), so I was in a shop checking out what they had.

While I was there I played a few Collings, Lowdens, Larrivees, Gibsons, Taylors, Takamines and Martins in various price brackets. Now I should say I'm not a seasoned acoustic player, but I think I know a good guitar when I play one. While I'm not sure I get what Collings and Lowdens offer to make them so outrageously pricey, they are uniformly beautiful sounding and playing things. But I found very little difference between Gibson, Takamine and Martins guitars from €4/500 to €2000 in terms of sound and playability. The level of bling seems to be what you pay for at the upper end. But the Taylors just sounded completely anaemic next to almost everything else except the cheapest nastiest Epiphone. Tiny necks too. And these were very expensive guitars. Is it a live thing? They're so popular, and I'm not pre disposed to disliking them (like I would be with most PRS's for example) but I was pretty shocked at how badly they stacked up against everything else.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    I've never felt inspired by one, certainly. I did own a 312CE for a few years when I wanted a decent electro-acoustic, and that was the best I could find in my price range - but I never loved it. It also sounded slightly better than the much more expensive 812 the shop had at the same time - second hand, so it would only have cost me a hundred more than the cheap one, but I didn't like it. I find all the more expensive ones overpriced, they're no better than the cheaper ones usually - just fancier and twice the price.

I've never found their necks 'tiny', but they are quite shallow. I used to not mind that but now I don't like it. Apparently they've recently increased the width too, which I dislike. Part of the problem is that they set the action too low at the factory (in my opinion) to make them easy to play, but it kills the tone.

The one I had was the older Fishman-electrics version. It sounded OK but I ended up fitting a Rare Earth soundhole pickup as well, which improved it. I also strongly dislike the Expression System, although I haven't played the MkII version yet.

But… all that said I still preferred my 312 to my Lowden.

And still one of the best live acoustic sounds I've ever heard was Lloyd Cole playing his 612, close up enough that I could hear the guitar as well as the sound through the PA. It was part of the reason I bought mine, although it never sounded anywhere near close to that. (Tone is in the player…)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    One thing to watch out for with Lowden's is that some can have, or develop over time, a high action. They can be set up pretty high in the factory partly because they are so resonant the action needs to be a bit higher. You need to try a few.

The benefit of Taylor's is that they have an adjustable neck which makes correcting this easier. Taylor's have low, electric-like action anyway.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    edited April 2016
    I would question the above comments.. Most acoustic guitars will develop higher actions over the long term, I don't think Lowdens are any more susceptible than other brands. Certainly nothing i have ever heard about or seen.

And I believe they come from the factory with a higher action to allow the customer to adjust to taste. Easier to drop action than raise it (i.e. new saddle). Many fingerstyle players like quite a high action as certain techniques really move the strings, more so than with a pick.

Can't imagine why resonance would really necessitate a higher action.... Lowdens can be setup really low, just like any other guitar. Certainly the ones I have had were easy to get very low actions on, due to the incredible build quality, straight neck etc., and certainly no issues relating to resonance.
  • Agree with CloudNine. The first 025 Lowden I bought in the 90's had factory fitted tiny shims under the bridges - to facilitate fitting undersaddle pickups - thus leaving the factory set action unaltered. Being the messer that I am, I simply removed them, restrung, lower action, bob's your proverbial. I've never had a single issue with a Lowden that a bit of fettling won't cure. I'm on my third, and must have played 30 over the years. 

I've recently re-strung with some Newtone Heritage Series low tension strings - never used them before - they are a revelation, zero tone loss and bendable ( and I mean really bendable )  Kossoff on a Lowden...
    =))
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited May 2016
    Then he hands me a Lowden O25 cedar/rosewood. Thats when my life changed forever. What a thing! Just sheer perfection in every way. It was beyond a doubt the best acoustic I've ever played or even heard played. It was clear as a bell, resonated beautifully and played better than I thought possible. The sound it made was intoxicating.
    So cut a long story short I now have insufferable GAS for a O25.
    I know the feeling Bowyn

I got mine in many years ago.
    Lowdens and Taylor make great guitars and I don't see them as in competition - better / worse.
    Sure they are both 'steel strung flat topped guitars' but if you look at how they're used (typical players) you'll see they fill different niches.

edited May 2016

Feel Lowdens are overpriced,
    My Nigel Forster acoustic is different class though and if you are willing to spend Lowden type money, than a custom build might be the way to go
    my O25, actually 'L25' back then - latifolia = Rosewood, cost me £740 - almost 30 years of pleasure and still a 'reference' for assessing other guitars by.
    Nigel makes superb instruments - if I was 'in the market' for a fine guitar I'd be 'chapping his door'.
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152

I got mine in 1988 Serial No. 717

can I say, Lowdens and Taylor make great guitars and I don't see them as in competition - better / worse.

Sure they are both 'steel strung flat topped guitars' but if you look at how they're used (typical players) you'll see they fill different niches.[/quote]

Has it aged well?

The problem I have is that I've played tens of Taylors of all different models, wood varieties, price brackets all whilst using different playing techniques. I've never played one that spoke to me or felt remotely inspiring. To me it's like they've built it to be efficient rather than sound quality and charactor. It's like owning a classic car or motorcycle. Yes they break down, leak oil but they are just more fun than the average Eurobox. It's a daft debate to be fair because everyones opinions will differ and we are lucky enough to be able to pick and choose to our needs

Bo

as I say above Bo,
    "still a 'reference' for assessing other guitars by." - structurally it's in very fine condition, just the normal wear and ding mark's u'd expect. I had the frets stoned and re-profiled in the early 2000's after a decade of gigging activity - still going.
    They are, made in a 'Small Shop' environment where the team care about what they do - make musical instruments, to the best of their abilities, I know a couple of the team.
    As I alluded too above - note the artist who use them (and what kind of music they play) - speaks volumes, they don't get them for free as Thomas Leeb points out in one of the Lowden videos -

ourmaninthenorth

Newtone master class and DR Rares have been my choice for all my guitars for decades - if u don't have 'devil sweat', there hard to beat - v/high quality bronze alloy used in the winding.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    Well, Ive been on an interesting acoustic journey lately...

Ive played a LOT of acoustics, and Im just about to sell my gorgeous rare Taylor... I will say this; mine is a 2004 Ltd 30th and ive yet to play ANY recent/new ones that come close to it. Maybe they were better made back then...

I spent around 3 hours with Doug at Coda last week; tried everything.

The om/000 body style seems to suit me. Loved every Lowden I picked up, and was tempted by the very high end stuff - it was gorgeous !

Martins generally disappoint but there were a few nuggets there. But in the end, i brought a Collings OM1 Mahogany Custom. A simply stunning instrument, with a gorgeous aged sunburst.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/FullSizeRender_15.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom