1x12 cab options to go with a EVH 5150 iii 50W

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If you aren't sure about the 1x12 evh cab, have you thought about the 2x12?   It's not that much bigger and sounds fantastic - Mine was only £350 new, I'd have thought buying a zilla cab and a speaker wouldn't be that much cheaper would it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I'm very happy with the montage 2x12 I got for my Badger 30. I run a single wgs 65.
    Wouldn't hesitate to get a 1x12 one.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Is that the Intro or Pro range?
  • I've got an Intro 1x12", and it's pretty damn ace. I'd call it slightly oversized compared to a normal 1x12".
    <space for hire>
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:
    No practical difference, or probably any difference - traditionally the value was called 15 ohms, then later 16 ohms, quite probably for exactly the same speaker. The impedance is 'nominal' anyway - it's a calculated value based on an average across the audio frequency range, which varies widely.

Impedance matching is so imprecise usually that you couldn't easily tell which was the better match to the amp even if they were different.
    That's a good point :))
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    Frets, can you not go to a 2x12? The virtual lack of compression using 2 V30s would certainly kick some A!

15 and 16 Ohms are the same thing. When all we had was valves all "proper" speakers, PA, studio, hi fi, were 15 R. Lesser kit, tellies and radios used 3Ohms. Then those feeble transistors came about and they could not handle the volts for 16R nor the current for 3R so we were lumbered with 8R speakers. Then! Sur le continent, they went "DIN" and 4 Ohms and so the multiple came about. 

As ICBM  says, rated impedance is just nominal, as soon as you put a few watts into the coil R goes up by quite a few percent anyway.

Dave.
    The wife would go mental with a 2x12. It will have to live in the lounge and I can just about get away with the little white amp!
    I've decided to go for the EVH 1x12 for now as I can have it before xmas!!

Then I'll stick a Creamback in it before I gig with it. Looking at some US sites it appears the Creamback swap is quite common!

The cab also means the wife will be happy with a white box rather than another hulking black thing.
  • I've decided to go for the EVH 1x12 for now as I can have it before xmas!!

Then I'll stick a Creamback in it before I gig with it. Looking at some US sites it appears the Creamback swap is quite common!

The cab also means the wife will be happy with a white box rather than another hulking black thing.
    Cool. make sure you get a cover for it, doesn't take long for a light coloured tolex to end up looking dirty after a few gigs, then she'll want it out the living room.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    make sure you get a cover for it, doesn't take long for a light coloured tolex to end up looking dirty after a few gigs, then she'll want it out the living room.
    +1

I put my cream Mesa Maverick in the boot of my car without a cover *once* and I then had to spend what seemed like hours cleaning the dirty marks off it, and I'm not sure it was ever quite perfect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've decided to go for the EVH 1x12 for now as I can have it before xmas!!

I might be interested in the old speaker, if you're getting rid...
    <space for hire>
    Noted!
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    edited December 2013
    Creambacks work really well with the EVH. I use a 2x12 EVH with the 50 it's really bloody small but sounds great. Sometimes I use two of em sometimes an EVH 4x12. Would be really interested in what you think the 1x12 sounds like I have made a 1x12 cab which is pretty much the same size as the EVH except its deeper. Gonna try another creamback in it at some point. I had a zilla mini modern I thought it was f@ckin awful -really boxy and no bottom end. I fancy 2 1x12's in a mini stack- plenty loud but very portable!
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    ICBM said:
    make sure you get a cover for it, doesn't take long for a light coloured tolex to end up looking dirty after a few gigs, then she'll want it out the living room.
    +1

I put my cream Mesa Maverick in the boot of my car without a cover *once* and I then had to spend what seemed like hours cleaning the dirty marks off it, and I'm not sure it was ever quite perfect.

Ha! More moons ago than I care T', Murphy TV (grabbed by the Rank Org') put out a range of melinex finished TVs in solid colours, including white. I don't think we ever got one from workshop to customer without a mark appearing somewhere on them! 

R.S. Antistatic Foam Cleaner is good stuff. Trade name "Ambersil".

Dave.

• I've gotta clean my bandit. It's black, but has years of gigging dirt in it. I'll try ambersil.
    Dear holy goat it's a good amp!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Is that with the 1x12?
  • I have a couple of Friedman 1x12 cabs for my Pink Taco. They are very similar to a Bogner cube and are loaded with the new Celection Creamback speakers which are lush!!!!!!!! They are a high powered vintage style speaker and I swear by them now.
    Is that with the 1x12?

Yup. It's super! Very pleased.
  • Cool I'm using my 50 with a 2x12 for a gig tonight for the first time! :-?