Clean amp metal guys.

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
edited April 2016 in FX
Ok, I'm starting to favour the tone of my pedals ( ocd and riot clones and Boss SD-1w) into the clean channel of my Engl screamer, than the lead channel itself. Less compressed and a bit more open. But that got me wondering, do any notable heavy rock or metal guys get their dirt from pedals into a clean amp? I could only really come up with Satch in his early days ( Marshall with a DS-1) I'm aware is common for blues and rock guys, but the heavier end of the spectrum?
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    I can't say for sure, but I'd put good money on a band/guitarist using a Boss HM-2 into a clean amp - a lot of gain available on there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24695
    I suppose you could say Dimebag - his early Randalls were entirely solid state and the MXR signature pedal really does get the sound right. I haven't investigated it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the pedal guts were remarkably similar to the amp preamp.

I used to use a Fender Blues Deluxe combo with an AMT Legend 2 R2 pedal. I got Fender cleans and Rectifier dirt. Before I tried it I did wonder if the speaker in the Fender would get a bit flubby, but I never play lower than drop C and it sounded great.

The AMT also took clean boosts really well too - I had a Suhr Koko Boost in front to give a mid boost for solos.

• There's a Instrumental black(ish) metal band from New York called sannhet, the guitarist from them uses a fender twin clean with a ocd in front, sounds great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Greg Anderson from Goatsnake uses a RAT into a Sunn Model T. Although I'm not sure he uses this set up anymore on the new album.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26871
    edited April 2016
    Ok, I'm starting to favour the tone of my pedals ( ocd and riot clones and Boss SD-1w) into the clean channel of my Engl screamer, than the lead channel itself. Less compressed and a bit more open. But that got me wondering, do any notable heavy rock or metal guys get their dirt from pedals into a clean amp? I could only really come up with Satch in his early days ( Marshall with a DS-1) I'm aware is common for blues and rock guys, but the heavier end of the spectrum?
    Even when Satch had his Peavey JSX, he only used the clean channel with the Satchurator in front.
    <space for hire>
  • Didn't Metallica use dirt pedals into a JC120, or was that amp just for their clean/chorus tones?

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I was in a pop metal band and I used a vc30 with a fuzz infront. Metal.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Even when Satch had his Peavey JSX, he only used the clean channel with the Satchurator in front.

I can fully understand that, having owned a JSX.

Didn't Metallica use dirt pedals into a JC120, or was that amp just for their clean/chorus tones?

As far as I understand it was just for the cleans, the dirt on the Black album, came from a boogie preamp into a Marshall power amp, but I may be wrong on the dirt side of things, just remember it from an article a few years back.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17704
    tFB Trader

Didn't Metallica use dirt pedals into a JC120, or was that amp just for their clean/chorus tones?

Pretty sure it was just as a clean amp for the chorused picky bits
    I suppose you could say Dimebag - his early Randalls were entirely solid state and the MXR signature pedal really does get the sound right. I haven't investigated it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the pedal guts were remarkably similar to the amp preamp.

I used to use a Fender Blues Deluxe combo with an AMT Legend 2 R2 pedal. I got Fender cleans and Rectifier dirt. Before I tried it I did wonder if the speaker in the Fender would get a bit flubby, but I never play lower than drop C and it sounded great.

The AMT also took clean boosts really well too - I had a Suhr Koko Boost in front to give a mid boost for solos.

AMT are a new one on me, is that a specific pedal or a brand?
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    depends on what kind of metal...but yes...off the top of my head;

Mike Scheidt (YOB) uses custom BAT pedal based on the old Ross distortions into clean marshall/marshall type amps.
    Mike Sullivan (Russian Circles) uses clean Verellen amps with various drive pedals
    Nick DiSalvo (Elder) uses Fuzz into clean-ish amp

there are plenty more too...
  • AMT_ElectronicsAMT_Electronics Frets: 20
    edited April 2016
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Im not really a metal guy, but I do Classic Rock alt type stuff. I use a Goosoniqueworx 7thvn, which to me is the best "amp in a box' tone ever. But they also do a higher gain variant the Kult pedal. Id check them out. There JFET & you can run them at 12 or 18 volts. The do sound amazing IMHO