Mooer Ocean Machine (Devin Townsend signature pedal!)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    OK, so I've been looking at a lot of Devin Townsend stuff since this was announced - he strikes me as an immensely likeable guy. Not only that, but he's one of the few big-ish-ticket artists who obviously really enjoys what he's doing. You see him actually grinning like a schoolboy who's suddenly found himself on a massive stage and is making the most of it while it's there.
    He's also mad as a box of deranged badgers, and one of the funniest personalities in the history of hard rock/metal. Some of the things he comes out with on stage makes me piss myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I wanna have GAS for this, but it's just soooooooo fucking ugly!
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Dev is a funny one for me, as I had a strong dislike of his stuff for years.  Then suddenly as of a few months ago, he's one of my favourite artists.  Still not entirely sure how that happened!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'm a massive Devy fanboi but I'm worried Mooer don't have the chops to pull this off
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Mooer started out with the cheap micro pedals (which were then seen as even cheaper as they got bootlegged/cloned/rebranded) but it seems they've been attempting to move themselves into a more mainstream market with their 'pro' pedals. I guess this collaboration with Devin Townsend is all part of trying establish their reputation as a 'proper' pedal maker.

There's no reason why Chinese made digital pedals shouldn't sound good and work well - all the 'name' brands are mostly made in China anyway, maybe in the same factories?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It's down to cost of components and intelligent design surely
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    edited October 2016
    Time to resurrect this one. Why? Because Mooer have just announced that the Ocean Machine will officially be released at the MusicChina expo at the end of this month.

Annoyingly, that $250 is going to be a lot more £ than I was hoping. Also, I may just have to wave goodbye to the Eventide Time Factor I just bought.

I'll definitely get one, though. Whether it replaces the Eventide is another matter...I may just plonk it on another board I'm planning (designed around a Bogner Ecstasy Red, to go into the clean channel of an amp with all the actual tone generation on the board). I've been thinking about it quite a bit, and I honestly can't think of anything else I'd need - the Bogner, the Ocean Machine and a tuner. Heaven (at least, until the Ocean Machine reveals it's inevitable critical design flaw).
    <space for hire>
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I wanna have GAS for this, but it's just soooooooo fucking ugly!
    Still applies.
    Fuzzdog said:
    Dev is a funny one for me, as I had a strong dislike of his stuff for years.  Then suddenly as of a few months ago, he's one of my favourite artists.  Still not entirely sure how that happened!
    It's  like that slightly strange looking Girl you used to hang around with but you never really fancied until you grew up and realised how stunning she was and then you find yourself begging to get married 
  • As an aside, if you search for "mooer ocean machine" in Google, this thread comes up third. Now, here's hoping they do some serious marketing... :)
    <space for hire>
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    It does look cool, will look forward to demos. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    Well...

Basically, it seems to be everything I wanted in a delay/reverb pedal. Now that I've moved on to wondering whether I want a Headrush or a Helix LT, though, it's something of a moot point.
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I'll have to watch that later. I think I've searched on YouTube every week since NAMM for a decent demo, if it does what I want it would basically be my pedalboard. Although I'm not keen on the colour scheme...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    It seems pretty good - I suspect you need to hear it in person and see if the UI will work for you. I think they said it has midi too - which for me raises a very interesting thought as I could replace my dd500 and flint with this..and it would be more flexible.
    The Ocean Machine is basically how I've been running all my delays and reverbs on all my boards and mfx units for like... ooo I dunno, 10 years??

Judging by the video from Andterons though, the audio cuts out slightly when you change presets. Which sucks.

The sounds are great though!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Well...

Basically, it seems to be everything I wanted in a delay/reverb pedal. Now that I've moved on to wondering whether I want a Headrush or a Helix LT, though, it's something of a moot point.
    You get one I'll get the other and we can swap on odd months.......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

Still yet to see a properly comprehensive review and this one will show you next to nothing about how it sounds but is does explain the features much better than anything else so far. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.