Playing gigs with glasses.

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1311
edited April 2016 in Live
I'm having trouble playing gigs while wearing my specs.  I'm OK for the first few songs, but after I get a sweat on they slip down my nose which results in me constantly pushing them back up nerd-stylee.

I did buy some silicon hooks that fix on the arms behind the ears which worked quite well but would split and fall off really easily.  I have also considered buying some contact lenses just to wear for gigs, but would rather stick with my glasses if I can.

Any fellow speccies got any tips for preventing this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Nerdwax. 

No, really, nerdwax. http://www.nerdwax.com/

Or this... 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Gaffer tape!!  (Like all other gig problems)

Or rubber bands twisted round the ends of the arms.

B-)
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 708
    edited April 2016
    There's milage in a sweatband ... 

Not that I ever would at a gig, but does stop my glasses sliding down my face when I'm at the gym ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I don't wear glasses but what about one of these sports type straps here.
  • I had this problem! I bought some glasses with the nose grip things and they stay in place! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I really don't understand the title of this Discussion! Anyway, you should wear sunglasses and then you'll look cool and be cool.
    Beyond that some kinds of glasses seem to stay on my head better than others. I often change my glasses just before playing so at least I'm wearing a pair that aren't sweaty from humping gear about. You could have a fan, Uli Jon Roth style, maybe .
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Helium balloon tied to the bridge piece.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Get a little chain to hang them round your neck when they fall off, like Pete 'I hope I die before I get old' Townshend.

(I like Townshend, but he does look stupid wearing them like that!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26601
    OK, so it was an amusing autocorrect typo (I suspect) for a while, but I've changed the title to be more in keeping with the actual topic at hand.

You're welcome, @EricTheWeary.
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8711
    For gigs I take my glasses off. As long as I can see the lights on my midi pedal, and work out which patch I'm using, I'm OK. We keep a pair of specs in the tool box which are shared around the band if anyone has to do something fiddly.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited April 2016
    Prescription scuba diving goggles.
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    There's milage in a sweatband ... 

Not that I ever would at a gig, but does stop my glasses sliding down my face when I'm at the gym ...
    anyone for tennis???
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    I have exactly the same oroblem so i dont wear them. Admittedky i dont need to wear them all the time anyway but sometimes i like to try and look clever you know.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Same problem here, it drives me insane :(
    I've tried the silicon hooks for behind the ears and they don't work at all, I sweat like a pig under stage lights mind.
    Everyone always takes the piss out of how i'm constantly pushing my specs back up my nose, ad it's a friggin nightmare during solos etc and also really restricts my movements :(

Would love a solution.

#thebatesmotelband
  • BodBod Frets: 1311
    OK, so it was an amusing autocorrect typo (I suspect) for a while, but I've changed the title to be more in keeping with the actual topic at hand.

Not an autocorrect error at all, but I'm happy for you to change it as it's not as commonly known slang as I thought.

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    ...contact lenses?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I'm a sweaty bastid, I need glasses to see distances and other glasses to see/read up close. For gigs I've currently opted for no glasses which is not really a problem, but I need to keep available the readers in case I have to fix anything up close in poor light. I have contemplated the rubber bands on the ends thing but don't suffer too bad at present so will stay with the no glasses until old age ravages what left of this poor body.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I don't mind doing the geeky push them back up my nose thing, it helps me stand out from the metallers I'm usually playing on bills with.  :-B
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    BGG said:
    Same problem here, it drives me insane :(
    I've tried the silicon hooks for behind the ears and they don't work at all, I sweat like a pig under stage lights mind.
    Everyone always takes the piss out of how i'm constantly pushing my specs back up my nose, ad it's a friggin nightmare during solos etc and also really restricts my movements :(

Would love a solution.

Arrange your solos so that every few bars there's a passage you can play entirely legato using hammers & pulls. User your picking hand during the legato phrases to adjust your glasses.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Bod said:

Not an autocorrect error at all, but I'm happy for you to change it as it's not as commonly known slang as I thought.

Ahh. Never heard it used like that before, at least two of us who haven't then.  B-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.