Disturbed - Sound of Silence on Conan

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
edited April 2016 in Music
I liked the studio/video version that's been doing the rounds recently but saw this live performance tonight and thought it was brilliant.
Charlie Runkle's got a fair set of pipes on him!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Very talented but I cannot stand his voice or his band. What do I know though I guess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Pop music for fat angst ridden teenagers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    edited April 2016
    Pop music for fat angst ridden teenagers
    That describes an awful lot of pop music! 

That cover is okay, not sure I can get excited about it though. Left me wanting to dig out the original. Also reminded me that the song is quoted (well, paraphrased I guess) by Rush in one of their songs. Wis point for anyone who knows that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited April 2016
    He's got talent I guess, but his band in general make the worst kind of music , file next to Five Finger Death Punch and Avenged Sevenfold as entry level metal for 13 yr olds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    I really liked that.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    edited April 2016

I cant get excited about that either. Much prefer the original as a piece of music.

Its like when Lacuna Coil covered Depeche Modes 'Enjoy the silence'. I preferred the original and thought Lacuna Coils effort was shit.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I can't stick the guy's voice. Sounds like most other US yarlers...
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    Surprised he is as good as he is at the clean stuff tbh
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26625
    edited May 2016
    One of my friends just posted this on Facebook, and I heard it for the first time.

Frankly, to me it's a huge improvement on the original (much more in keeping with the mood of the lyrics, whereas I always thought the original sounded rather glib and, "We couldn't be bothered putting this together properly, so here's a tune I wrote for something else"), and I thought that vocal performance was astonishing.

It's probably worth mentioning that I'm fully aware this might be considered sacrilege amongst the fogeys, so I've donned my flame-retardant suit just in case.
    <space for hire>
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited May 2016
    Also reminded me that the song is quoted (well, paraphrased I guess) by Rush in one of their songs. Wis point for anyone who knows that.
    Spirit of Radio - "the words of the prophets are written on subway walls" / "studio wall/ concert hall", "echoes with the sound of silence/ salesmen"

ICM £5
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

As a fogey , I have to say I prefer this to the original , well the second half is good anyway ( the spooky piano makes the song).

I always hated the original as  " oh look how deep,moody and clever we are" , whilst just sounding pretentious and wankey.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I thought it sounded like them Stickleback blokes doing lift music. :-)

One of the few artists who I feel could cover a song and virtually steal it from the original group was Johnny Cash. I'm thinking particularly about One, Mercy Seat and probably The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. I don't think anyone could take Bird On A Wire from Laughing Len though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I don't like it. I did at first - it starts well enough, but he ends up overdoing it badly, from about 2'43" onwards and then getting progressively worse. Vocal histrionics is precisely what this song does *not* need - it would be entirely possible to do a worthwhile cover that doesn't ape the original, but this isn't it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Chuffola said:
    Also reminded me that the song is quoted (well, paraphrased I guess) by Rush in one of their songs. Wis point for anyone who knows that.
    Spirit of Radio - "the words of the prophets are written on subway walls" / "studio wall/ concert hall", "echoes with the sound of silence/ salesmen"

ICM £5
    Wis given.  :) Fiver in the post...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Its a decent performance, it really comes down to whether you think the song needs a crescendo or not. I'm on the side that would say no and I like the harmony of the original.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    He's got talent I guess, but his band in general make the worst kind of music , file next to Five Finger Death Punch and Avenged Sevenfold as entry level metal for 13 yr olds

As I said in the "Bro Metal" thread, although I generally don't listen to bands of this ilk (...whatever that may be, post-nu-alt-metal or something...) but I do actually like Disturbed.

I like Draiman's voice, I like Donegan's guitar playing and I just generally like that big overblown noise they make.  Yes, they have basically written the same song 50 or 100 times over, but it's a bloody good song.  And they've also made a bit of a gimmick out of their cover versions.  I like them too.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I work in a place where they play radio 2 all day. I heard it a number of times without knowing who it was. I really like it and dont mind the ott ending. 

Great singer, great band and a departure from their normal style. IMHO etc
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I don't normally particularly like Disturbed but I thought that was great - very different to what I've come to expect from them.

He's got a great voice. I don't always like what he does with it but I think it works here. And the arrangement really makes it - I can't stand the original, I can't put my finger on why but I just think it sounds shit. This is a massive improvement IMO.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Can't listen at work, but I heard the studio version a while ago and couldn't help thinking that it had been auto-tuned to buggery....
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    Good grief that sounded awful, sounded a bit like a biker or a trucker who had found Jesus and wanted to sing in church for the first time
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom