Amplitube 4 opinions?

Has anyone used amplitube 4 and compared it to 3/guitar rig/bias?

I currently use amplitube 3 custom shop, with the Slash pack only, and I have 30 gear credits and was wondering whether to put it towards amplitube 4?

The problem I have with 3 is that i can't use the cabs in it, they sound lame. I use LeCab with the free ownhammer mesa V30 and it sounds pretty good. I want to try other cabs but am finding the IR market a bit of a minefield. In amplitube 4 the cabs seem much better and I like the option of putting any speaker in any cab (I really want to TRY a Marshall 4x12 with CL80s but don't really want to spend much on it if I don't like the sound - with separate IRs I feel like you have to know what you like already or itll cost you). Also, with IRs you get a file for each mic placement but I don't know what im doing so I find it confusing, so I like the visual aid amplitube gives you where you can drag the mic around until it sounds good.

I probably would use the amps in amplitube 4 but I suppose I am wondering if the cabs and speakers alone are worth the price or if I should just spent my gear credits on a couple of amps and perservere with using a separate loader? I like the idea of it all being in one piece of software too; having to load up a DAW just to jam is annoying.

It is currently on sale for £120 but you don't seem to get much beyond the 5 amps and the speakers (every other piece of free gear is free gear I have anyway) so it seems expensive given that you can get IR libraries for a lot less. Any thoughts? Does anyone make a loader that is more visual in an amplitube way?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I used 3 for ages, upgraded to 4 when it came out and (to me at least) the cab section is a huge improvement.  I always had to bypass the cabs in 3 and run them through something else, but I rarely feel that I have to bother with 4.  

4 just sounds and feels a lot better on the whole in my opinion, not sure what they did to it, but it worked.  Definitely my favourite software modeller now by quite a large margin.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Do the older amp models from 3 sound good in 4 or does the improved modelling in 4 make the old stuff stand out?

Do the older amp models from 3 sound good in 4 or does the improved modelling in 4 make the old stuff stand out?
    I think everything benefits nicely from the new cab section, to be honest.  Not sure if they upgraded the older stuff as well, but even the stock models seem to have an extra little something going on in terms of feel.

Best thing to do is download the free version of 4 and give it a whirl with some trial stuff from the custom shop, really.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • I thought the free version of 4 uses the old cab section? I'll take a look tonight

I thought the free version of 4 uses the old cab section? I'll take a look tonight
    Oh?  It might, not tried it personally.  If so, oops. :D
  • I've just downloaded it and you don't have access to any of the gear from 4, and you can't trial it either. The old cabs show in the 'room' but non of the new features like speaker changes, room changes etc are possible without buying :(

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I use Amplitube 4 all the time - a huge improvement over 3. Worth the cash IMHO.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired;1038320" said:
    I use Amplitube 4 all the time - a huge improvement over 3. Worth the cash IMHO.
    Do you use any of the older amp models? Do they sound better?

• OK I bought it. I will post opinions after I have had a proper play. Changing speakers is very cool, not sure if the cab room is better than a good quality IR though... Need to really put it through its paces.

I'm in the same position in that I have all of these mics, cabs and speakers but no real world experience mic'ing them!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired;1038320" said:
    Do you use any of the older amp models? Do they sound better?

Yes, due to the new speaker cab, mics functionality.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • The Red Pig and Jubilee alone, with a CL80 loaded red pig cab, is worth the asking price. I had €30 of credits and £30 of birthday money so it only feels like it cost me £55. I had a hard time justifying it full price for what I thought was just the cab room as I was already satisfied with the amps I had, but the fact that the red pig and silver jubilee are so much better than anything else I have it feels better value.

I didn't think it would be worth it because I already had a silver jubilee in the form of the Jcm Slash, but this jubilee actually sounds like one. I now finally understand why I didn't get on with my jubilee 2554. Through a CL80 loaded 4x12 in amplitube it's a roaring monster of tone... Through a v30 loaded 1x12 in amplitube it sounds like a thin box of bees. Shrill and harsh, no balls. Like the 2554 combo (IMO). Remarkably impressive stuff.

There's is too much tweakability now though, so I'm trying to approach it how I would in real life. Id buy a 4x12 with speakers I like and be done with it and every amp I'd own would go through that... So I'm switching 'match cabs' off or I'll spend all day mic'ing up cabs and no time playing.

It sounds amazing but I remembered why I sold the Kemper now... Too much choice, not enough playing.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    try the Scuffham Amps S-Gear demo - I loved it 
    Red ones are better.