Ring Modulators

What's Hot
earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
After seeing the video of the DOD Gonkulator below, I remembered a few years back I was really intrigued by ring modulator as an effect, as one of my favourite guitarists used a Lovetone Ring Stinger heavily to create his very individual sound. 

Does anyone have a ring modulator pedal?  I can imagine they aren't for everyone but they seem to create some wonderfully weird sounds especially for those who's ears have grown weary of pentatonic widdling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    I have the Dr Scientist BitQuest and I have the Ring Mod set to almost a vibrato most of the time.

It's quite a difficult sound to use I find, I think I'd get a ring mod that has a large range on it, as some of the best sounds are found in a very narrow band.

It's good for the really nasty fuzz sounds too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    The only one I've ever been able to use and get good sounds froom is the Moogerfooger MF102. A wonderful pedal, everything from stutter Tremolo sounds to Bells with all sorts of mess in between
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22410
    Another vote for the Moog. Different level ring modulator. The Frostwave Blue Ringer was very cool but not as musical as the Moog. 

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The gonkulator cant be tuned which makes it honestly not that great.

The ring thing is great, I've found that tuning it a fifth above the key youre playing in rather than the tonic makes for more pleasing sound.

Also sweeping the tuning across is a grea "woah what was that" plane crash effect.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    Thanks for the replies

I checked out a video for the BitQuest, which seems to have an insane amount of sounds in it.  I think you're right about going for a Ring Mod with a large base of sounds, as a lot of the sounds of ones I have come across seem like ones I would struggle to find a use for. 

Yeah, the MF-102 is one of the ones which I have been most impressed with.  I really like the bell/tremolo kind of sounds it produces.  It also is a really cool looking pedal! 

It was the Gonkulator video that reminded me of RM pedals but the ones I heard of it make it sound a bit underwhelming.  Thanks for the info about the Ring Thing.  I've seen them in a few shops and I might try one if possible. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    Could have a look at the Fairfield Ciruitry randy's revenge too
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Can't play pentatonic blues in tune with one on. :-S
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    Could have a look at the Fairfield Ciruitry randy's revenge too
    Yep, that is the one which has caught my eye the most - it sounds amazing!  I came across a video of it and if I had the money I would have bought one instantly!  
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    The only one I've ever been able to use and get good sounds froom is the Moogerfooger MF102. A wonderful pedal, everything from stutter Tremolo sounds to Bells with all sorts of mess in between
    Absolutely the ring mod I wanted, but size, price and my fear of the unknown kept me away. Don't go for the minimoog one, it just doesn't have the range / sounds of its bigger brother.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7231
    edited April 2016
    I have the Fairfield Circuitry. It's great. Ears:

does an absolutely stunning trem too
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I did a ring thing demo

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    another +1 for the moogerfooger, its a total beast of a pedal. 

I would love the lovetone pedal though, they are seriously cool but unfortunately the price isn't just steep, its vertical

I think the ZVEX pedal is meant to be pretty good, I haven't tried it myself. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 247
    I use the ring thing, you can tune it on the fly by holding down a footswitch, combine that with blending in the clean signal and you have a very musical ring mod indeed. It also does trem, phasing, pitch shifting, whammy, vibrato...
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    i have a diy ring modulator i got off ebay years ago. 

i stopped using it shortly after i got it as i could only get one sound out of it. i can't remember what that sound was, but, at the time, was not a sound i wanted to use. i still have the pedal. it's in bits, as i salvaged parts off it for other projects and have no idea how to put it back together and get it to work. lol.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I enjoy the ring mod on my BitQ alot. I'd love to have a Fairfield Randys but that's the beauty of the BitQ. It stops me from spending loads and has a few tricks of its own.