NAD - Orange Rocker 30

Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
Picked it up on Friday, it's a minter and even came with the original box.

Only had a quick play since, v impressed, especially with the natural channel, although how long i put up with a single control is debateable....but hopefully it's a keeper.

A few weeks until the next gig so plenty of time to dial in some sounds and try to find a reverb and/or delay that plays nicely with the gain channel.

All in all, v happy.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice one, they have a great reputation on here. 

Is it the combo or head?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Congrats.

I love Oranges. They're very good for you, especially your tone.

Re the reverb/ delay has it got a loop?
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    It's a combo. I've been looking for one for a while, this popped up on t'bay, and after a little trip up the M11 I was all Orange'd up, TOWIE style.....

No loop, hence the delicate nature of finding the right fx, if I want to use the dirty channel that is.
  • I use a Carbon Copy with my Rocker 30 and I reckon it sounds good.  I don't use that much gain though, and mostly use the delay on cleaner sounds.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    The natural channel takes fuzz and distortion pedals fantastically well, just put any post-dirt effects after these. The dirty channel is best for a mild crunch which can easily come after the effects too if you keep the gain down a bit.

I would maybe also think about a G12H-75 Creamback speaker, they suit the amp better than the V30 in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2016
    Thanks all, I'm only intending to use a bit of slapback, maybe some light chorus, so hopefully the gain channel should cope alongside the natural. If not I''ll crack open the Carl Martin Plexi-Tone.

Some great sounds in this amp from the get-go, so fx will be minimal anyway.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've fancied one of these in head form for ages. Congratulations.
    And the nice chap that sold it to me told me his brother in law used to be the MD of Orange amps.Not sure if that adds anything to the thread, but it's a funny old world....
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    I just took delivery of a rocker 30 combo last Thursday and so far have been enormously impressed by it.

I took a punt based a lot on @ICBM s high opinion of them.

Gigging with it first time on Friday night...we're a 3-piece no-frills mod/punk/ska band...so it should fit the bill nicely...worked great in rehearsal just using the volume knob on my tele...I don't use fx anyway...I find it all too complicated and don't really like my guitar sounding a bit wibbly-wobbly :-)
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    Congrats on the new amp! I've got the head version and really like it. I run it through an MJW 1x12 cab fitted with an Eminence Wizard which works well to my ears. The natural channel really highlights different guitars and pickups and the dirty channel roars!
    They feel really solid and well built too -why did they ever stop making them?
    It is a great amp so far. Really happy with it and may well pop it through the 2x12 for bigger gigs (if needed). Can always add fx from the desk if needed I guess.

I agree it is a solid beast, and I'm liking the simplicity. Maybe I'll ditch all the knobs and buttons and go no frills!
    Beexter said:
    Congrats on the new amp! I've got the head version and really like it. I run it through an MJW 1x12 cab fitted with an Eminence Wizard which works well to my ears. The natural channel really highlights different guitars and pickups and the dirty channel roars!
    They feel really solid and well built too -why did they ever stop making them?
    I don't know. As you know I think it's their best modern amp - it's not exactly the same as the old 70s ones, but it captures the spirit of the sound while having more conventional tone controls and taking a wider range of modern pedals better, I think (heavy fuzz/distortion on the clean channel and overdrive/boost on the dirty channel).

I wonder if it was perceived as not having modern enough features - no loop or reverb - since essentially it was replaced by the Rockerverbs… but I don't like those as much, they sound congested by comparison. And I like reverb and FX loops - but I'd still take the plain Rocker over the Rockerverb (either older version, although I haven't played the newest one yet).

The guitarist in my band has a Rocker 30 head which he uses with a G12M-65/G12H-75 cabinet and it sounds brilliant. The only limitation is that it doesn't like his drop-tune pedal, especially not on the dirty channel. What's very interesting is that the dirty channel by itself sounds almost identical to the clean channel with his EP Booster in front of it, so he can set them for different levels of essentially the same sound if he wants to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm tempted to try a pair of KT 77's in place of the EL34'S just to see what effect they have. Might just give it just a little more sparkle on the natural channel, although it seems to be EQ'd just about right as it is and as stated above, it excels at highlighting the difference between guitars and pickups - there's certainly nowhere to hide sloppy playing!
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    Got the head version of one of these arriving tomorrow, can't wait to try it. What appealed to me was the simplicity actually. You'll have to let me know how the KT 77 sound.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3989
    Awesome amp, I gigged one for a good few years.
    Beexter said:
    I'm tempted to try a pair of KT 77's in place of the EL34'S just to see what effect they have.
    I haven't heard KT77s in one, but we tried 6CA7s in my guitarist's one and found it much harsher and less natural-sounding than with the EL34s. Just for reference!

Finally had a chance to get this out live, hooked up to a 2x12 and with the combo's V30 mic'd it sounded fab. Only using the clean channel but with a Carl Martin Plexi Tone for the dirt it sounds immense.

Very happy, that is all.
    I know these get a lot of love for the dirty channel but I love the clean channel on them - so transparent. Can't go wrong with just a volume knob!
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I had one for a year, never used the dirty channel but the clean was great. I used to fun that flat out them add pedals for more drive, it worked very well for that.
  • Used to own one of these combos, great amp. I used the mxr carbon copy into the gain channel and rocked really well. On the flip side, I also ran a JHS Superbolt and Moonshine into the natural channel with a Strymon Timeline, also sounded ace. Great amp and plenty loud enough to gig with :)