The BBQ Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    If this goes well I will do. Impressed with my local butcher. The meat looks great.

Also chatted with a Weber rep who was the one other punter allowed in the store when I was in and he said snake over minion for brisket to hold the lower temps. Also to remove the fire bricks I used for the pulled pork and just use a foil shield on the side nearest the coals, if needed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24767
    I've got a Smokey Mountain for long cooks so fortunately I don't have to do any of that!
  • Might do some lamb kebabs this weekend using the same marinade I did the chicken thighs with. 
    What cut of lamb do you think would work best?

Either that or I fancy a leg of lamb with a chermoula marinade. 
    All I know about lamb is the best one I ever had was shank. And that mint should be involved.

I'm trying Pitmaster Xs Chimichurri sauces to go with the brisket. I don't even know if I like parsley that much but he's annoyingly persuasive
  • Lamb kebabs today were pretty awesome. 
    Here’s the marinade recipe of anyone fancies trying it. 

• 1 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
    • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more to taste
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons ketchup
    • 6 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 tablespoon Aleppo red pepper flakes
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    • 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon paprika
    • ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Whisk it all up, coat the lamb/chicken and refrigerate for a few hours. On the grill til they’re done then chuck into some toasted flatbread with salad and mayo. Lovely jubbly. 
    I left the chilli flakes out so the eldest would eat it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That sounds ace.

Definitely going in my marinade plans.
    Brisket is not worth the faff on a kettle bbq imo. Results were decent if a bit dry in the thinner bits. 10 hour cook and then 2 hours rest. Think I'll stick to pulled pork and smaller beef cuts
    I only ever do a full brisket on my water smoker.

But just a point or just a flat is fine on a kettle.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1625
    I did beef cheeks recently, as I couldn't be bothered with the duration of doing brisket.  Took about 4 hours and very good result. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    I have been doing a few kebab skewer lately and I have decided I need a skewer rack. the one O have seen all seem to be small. does anyone know where I can get a good one
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1625
    I bought one of these a month or so ago:

Works well, quite sturdy.
  • I’d like some wide, flat skewers kofta kebabs, remember seeing Rick Stein use some in turkey and they looked awesome. 

Pulled pork again today. Juicier than my first effort but bless bark. I’m thinking it’s partly due to when I wrapped it - bit late last time, bit early this time. 

Also thinking of adding some handles to my daisy wheels to make adjustments easier. 

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    I bought one of these a month or so ago:

Works well, quite sturdy.

looks like just the job. many thanks i now have one on order
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I’d like some wide, flat skewers kofta kebabs, remember seeing Rick Stein use some in turkey and they looked awesome. 

Pulled pork again today. Juicier than my first effort but bless bark. I’m thinking it’s partly due to when I wrapped it - bit late last time, bit early this time. 

Also thinking of adding some handles to my daisy wheels to make adjustments easier. 

With you on the flat skewer front. They’re really good for holding stuff rather than having it rotate around on a round skewer. I also need to get some.

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 480
    I've just seen B&Q have the 57cm Weber Mastertouch with 20% off at the moment, bringing it down to £220 ish.

Is that worth a go or do people think they may come down further towards the end of the summer? Tossing up between getting that and actually using it this year or waiting longer when it will be a bit cold to sit outside and enjoy.
    I BBQ all year round so the weather doesn't bother me.

£220 for a master touch seems pretty good though.

Don't be afraid of used ones on ebay though. As long as the porcelain bits are undamaged you can get a bargain. High temp will kill anything dodgy in it and if really worried the grill can be replaced.
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 480
    Thanks, I might pick one up if they come back into stock. I'll have a look around eBay as well. 

Weather is more for family etc, I know the food can be eaten inside but we tend to have other non-BBQ food in the colder months other than the odd occasion where we might fire it up to grill something.
    Bavette has turned into my favourite steak type cut.
    Great strong flavour and lovely texture.

Just ordered some more with some canoe cut marrow.
  • Just lit mine for the first time this year. So of course it’s starting to rain. :angry: 
    Nothing exciting today, just some burgers and lamb kofte. Really need to sort out a little table or shelf...
    I've just ordered a full pack brisket as it happens - for the weekend of the 24th.

Can't wait!