I fucking love...

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
... SikTh.

I'm not convinced there is a better metal band in the world, currently.

If you don't already know them, their sound is a bizarre mix of prog, nu-metal and Mr Bungle-style avantgarde insanity, which went on to inspire Periphery and therefore all other djent bands since. I love Periphery but IMO none of those others have the talent, the balls and the fire in their bellies to make anything even remotely as good as everything SikTh ever did. Every album also contains a creepy spoken-word piece courtesy of Mikee Goodman, one of the two vocalists (the one whose versatile voice and unhinged delivery is responsible for all their weirder vocal parts). This is my favourite - sends a bit of a chill down my spine.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They are incredible. I'm not totally in to all of the latest EP though I think the two albums are amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    It was going alright until he started singing, if you can call it that... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • They have two singers, yes one is weird but it suits the music. @Octahedron you might like this track then
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2016
    ^ Yes, I'm trying to get into the first album as I've never liked it as much as the second. I love the most recent EP too, it's amazing and shows they're still at the top of the game.

Peep Show is a great track, and I posted "Where Do We Fall" up there ^ which also has less of Mikee's frenzied jabbering. I love Justin Hill's voice, although Mikee is a far bigger part of their sonic identity I guess. You can't imagine their sound without him, and they wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting without his input. Awesome lyricist too.

I love the vocals from 3:20 in "Walking Shadows"... actually reminds me more of Rainer Landfermann's vocal style on "Dictius Te Necare" by Bethlehem than anything else. Maybe he likes his black metal...

And the riffs... fucking hell. Masterful.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yup they're great. One of them retweeted my band a year or two ago!
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    It was going alright until he started singing, if you can call it that... 
    I had a little bet with myself how long it would take before someone would say this.

What would you prefer, Elton John singing over the top?

I love SikTh, one of the first bands I got really into, I saw them playing my tiny local music festival years ago, before the album came out. They played my uni a few years later and I DJd in between bands, me and Dan Weller spent ages talking about Planet Earth afterwards. Good night.
    I prefer the original version of Hold My Finger to the one on the album:

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Great band. Check out Pin's other band Aliases too.

He's a bloody nice chap too FWIW.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5020
    Never could get into them but they always seemed like nice people. Did wonders for Blackmachine and Doug.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    It's taken me a long time to get into the first album, but hearing this version of "Tupelo" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds has led to an epiphany... what a fucking masterpiece.