Tremolos for thin bodies?

What's Hot
Just wondering what's possible; I quite fancy making a BM-inspired something with a really thin body, but I do like having a trem.

Is this just a bad idea? I think it could be done with a Bigsby or Kahler or similar but I was wondering (a) if there are less ugly alternatives and (b) if a very thin body is compatible with a tremolo at all.
"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    As already mentioned, kahler and bigsby will work. You could also look at a stetsbar or Floyd rose Fxr series, i may have those last 3 letters wrong, but its a top mount Floyd. notice all off them have the workings on show and other than the bigsby, look very industrial

Jazz/jag/mustang trems will also work on thinner bodies

But how thin?
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    There's always the lyre trems (if you can get hold of one) that firebirds and some epiphones used. They work remarkably well. They shouldn't, but they do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    A Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem is probably the closest to the original that's easily available off the shelf, and only needs a body depth of about an inch - although you would need to be careful not to leave the rear wall too thin and fragile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Virbrola or lyre style as already mentioned.the Vibrola on my SG works really well, no discernable drop in sustainable, looks cool and adds a lovely shimmer. BTW my phone doesn'tlike Vibrolas it has twice changed it to Virology vibrant.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    WezV said:
    But how thin?
    I don't know! 25mm?

I was thinking something BM inspired in terms of thinness, but a different shape, different headstock. I quite fancy a very simple finish - actually, like that Viper style you made a few years back.

I like the looks of the Stetsbar, possibly the Lyre. And the Jag style is worth considering. I don't mind industrial looking, but the Bigsby is a bit Industrial Revolution for this.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Measurements from my Red Special...

Body thickness: 41mm
    Distance from back to trem block: 7mm

So, the Wilkinson 2-point trem needs at least 34mm body thickness (a little more to allow room for the ends of the springs to hook into the holes in the bottom of the block).

For what it's worth, I see the body on that guitar as pretty slim, and it's not clear to me what's to be gained by making it even slimmer.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17645
    tFB Trader
    You want a Freeflyte!

... or maybe not. 
  • NeedsMoreChilliNeedsMoreChilli Frets: 1
    edited April 2016
    Les Trem is another alternative. Replaces a standard TOM stopbar, no body routing required. No good for dive-bombing though, it's more of a gentle Bigsby style trem. Here's one on my '92 Hohner SE-35:

Gentle is fine, I don't do Floyd acrobatics.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited April 2016
    Nomad;1049289" said:
    Measurements from my Red Special...Body thickness: 41mm

Distance from back to trem block: 7mmSo, the Wilkinson 2-point trem needs at least 34mm body thickness (a little more to allow room for the ends of the springs to hook into the holes in the bottom of the block).For what it's worth, I see the body on that guitar as pretty slim, and it's not clear to me what's to be gained by making it even slimmer.
    Wrong BM?

I assumed blackmachine
    Sporky;1049227" said:
    WezV said:

But how thin?

I don't know! 25mm?

I was thinking something BM inspired in terms of thinness, but a different shape, different headstock. I quite fancy a very simple finish - actually, like that Viper style you made a few years back.

I like the looks of the Stetsbar, possibly the Lyre. And the Jag style is worth considering. I don't mind industrial looking, but the Bigsby is a bit Industrial Revolution for this.
    At 25mm anything needing any route is out.

WezV said:

I assumed blackmachine
    You assumed correctly. I don't want to make a copy, just take some elements.
    WezV said:
    Sporky;1049227" said:
    I don't know! 25mm?
    At 25mm anything needing any route is out.

Is 25mm an unrealistic goal then, or would it be OK with, say, a Stetsbar?
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    If it's not a hollow body, can you not fit a V trem and take an angle grinder and a drill to ream out the holes for string balls to a Fender Block and screw the spring retainer in really tight?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    WezV said:
    Wrong BM?

I assumed blackmachine

Yup, but the numbers still apply - more just a point of reference for what the Wilkinson trem needs.

Just had a look at the Blackmachine web site, and the bodies look to range from 32 (maybe with a 2mm cap) to 40mm thick.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

I should have thought of checking that! Much more space than I'd thought.

I might have a play in CAD.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Some Ibanez's have tapered bodies, thicker in the centre bridge /pickup areas, but tapering pretty thin towards the edges- would kinda fit in with that vibe(?) 
    WezV said:

Wrong BM?

I assumed Blackmachine
    Ha, I assumed Brian May too :).

Hence the Jag/Jazz suggestion...

If it's for a Blackmachine I would go black anodised Kahler.

The Kahler rout is meant to be 1" deep, but in practice you can get away with a bit less.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5160
    Les Trem is another alternative. Replaces a standard TOM stopbar, no body routing required. No good for dive-bombing though, it's more of a gentle Bigsby style trem. Here's one on my '92 Hohner SE-35:

That's cool @NeedsMoreChilli. Don't mean to derail the thread (sorry @Sporky)- how's tuning stability with that? Does it suffer from the same problems as a Bigsby with restringing? Did you change the TOM bridge for a roller-style one too? If so, was it as one job when fitting the Les Trem or after bitter experience?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Does it suffer from the same problems as a Bigsby with restringing?
    The only problem with restringing a Bigsby is wondering what to moan abut after you work out how to do it right and find it's a complete piece of cake :).