Improving Youtube Demo Video's... again

What's Hot
Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
So I am slowly getting better with the whole youtube demo thing, you can see my latest two below. The guys on this site have been a great help so far so looking for any constructive criticisms I could use to make the video's look/sound better. you won't hurt my feeling honest!

Here is what I have so far

Visually
- Need a better camera that can actually focus
- There is such a thing as too much light, or better light placement.
- I did some light correction on the strat video, which looked better as a result

Sound
- Way too much compression, the original recording sounds much more dynamic
- Laptop too close to the guitar, I didn't think it was an issue at the time but the guitars picked up so much noise from it, it is just behind me

What I am not sure about is

Is there too much high end on the overdriven tones (Les Paul video), I mixed a SM57 mic with a cheaper Dynamic mic, the cheaper mic has a better high end response, but comparing to other demo videos I think I should have just stuck with the SM57 as i think the high end has become a bit too harsh in the mix?

I started off with a very scooped tone, wondering how many people that would put off immediately?

Let me know what you think, any other suggestions,  hopefully others can learn from this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY0wT4epW9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9i-1IAzjJY&feature=youtu.be

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Just a quick observation....the video starts with the LP, then when you play, its the Strat ?

I think maybe a transition between the takes would be good, that straight cut is a bit odd?

Sounds ok to me, maybe you should tell us what you are doing to get the different tones?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    @spark240 thats magic! LP turns into strat, actually that brings up another good point, planning! I just shot this and then delivered the amp, so afterwards I only had the footage I had, if I had I thought about what I wanted in the end I would have done two intro's, or one without a guitar. Thanks
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Some slightly abrupt edits. Only on my phone earlier so sound wise could have been anything! De clutter the space possibly, so viewers aren't looking at your bookshelf or posters. The well made YouTube demos tend to be quite minimal in appearance ( like PGS) or have a bit of a Wow factor (sitting in a room full of amps type thing) with quite tight framing.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @EricTheWeary thanks yes I should have known about the books! that room is pretty small, if I framed it up tighter you would not see my pretty face, but more camera angles would be good.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    edited April 2016
    Just a suggestion - put the camera in the corner diagonally opposite the laptop and point it at the corner which currently has the laptop in it (and swap the laptop and amp over, so that the camera is pointing at the amp). Framed right, the viewer will only see one corner of the room and it won't seem so claustrophobic; it'll probably hide the laptop and books, too.

On the edits...just have a short 0.3 - 0.5 second fade out and back (both video and audio) - that'll make it seem a lot less jarring for the viewer :)
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26620
    Also...720p at least, dude. This isn't 2005, y'know ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the pointers @digitalscream ,  I have a new camera on order so hopefully it will be clearer next time.