English bands singing in American accents

What's Hot

Comments

• StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    The one artist who springs to mind that sang in his his own accent was Alex Harvey. Even during his 60s soul band era where he covered a lot of American artists material, he tended to sing with his Scottish accent, to the point where he exaggerated it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It's all about technique. It really is.

Scottish folk and American country are very similar in that they use a shit ton of twang.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    I'm trying to imagine Benji singing in Skindred in his actual Welsh accent rather than the Jamaican / reggae patois that works with the music.

No doubt it would be very funny. But the notion of being authentic would ruin the music. 
    sometimes I cant decide if he has become a parody of himself:
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    BigMonka said:
    eSully said:

Surprised people are saying Biffy Clyro, I think their Scottish accents come through quiet strong in their singing, particularly in the earlier albums. 
    That's exactly what I thought, I'd hold them up and someone who does show off their own accent rather than faking another

Either that of the weegie accent is a lot more similar to american than i had previously thought
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Most of the 1960's and early 1970's British bands sang in fake American accents. Then came Punk Rock, and Punks sang in their own regional accents.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I think Damon Albarn should be our icon !

;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    GuyBoden said:
    Most of the 1960's and early 1970's British bands sang in fake American accents. Then came Punk Rock, and Punks sang in their own regional accents.
    To be fair, there were many punk bands who sang in a Johnny Rotten accent.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited April 2016
    scrumhalf said:
    GuyBoden said:
    ...Then came Punk Rock, and Punks sang in their own regional accents.

To be fair, there were many punk bands who sang in a Johnny Rotten accent.
    Which is a problem if you've got an accent which sounds like Johnny Rotten* -- you can't sing a ballad in your natural accent, you can't sing anything in your natural accent, because of the association of the accent with old-school British punk.  So you've got to affect an accent to sing in -- it's just being pragmatic. 

*  to the ears of people who aren't down with the nuances of London accents from certain areas and eras. 

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Does my head in. I'm looking at you Joe Elliot and Joanne Shaw Taylor - the latter being the worst offender, being from the Midlands, and singing like a down home country hick...
  • AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 156
    edited May 2016
    PolarityMan;1052546" said:
    GavRichList said:

Awful, awful habit. Some of my most detested singers. Biffy Clyro an excellent example.

I already lol'd the first one...but you guys aren't serious right?
    Im confused too. Haven't listened to Biffy in ages, but i always liked that his scottish accent often came through in the singing.

On the larger topic, i kind of agree with Drew that thinking about vocal delivery in terms of spoken accent, or reducing it down to just a choice between american or english is restrictive.

I think the singing voice should be treat as a completely different tool to your natural spoken voice and developed seperateley. The shaping of words, elecution, whatever. Invent a whole new persona if it works you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    imagine dolly parton singing with a brummie accent.
    "be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • Fuckit, instrumental is the way forward anyway.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Where do we stand on the "blues voice" then? got to say I sometimes struggle a bit. Ian Siegal is a particular proponent, and I think he carries it off, but the British Bluesman can sometimes be a bit of a difficult listen. I'm looking at you, Hugh Laurie.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited May 2016
    Emp_Fab said:
    My favourite ones are the modern US punk bands, who sound like Americans trying to sing like Brits trying to sound like Americans who were copying Brits who were copying Americans. 
    Time for the Kursaal's...

It's always time for the Kursaals.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    kjdowd said:
    Where do we stand on the "blues voice" then? got to say I sometimes struggle a bit. Ian Siegal is a particular proponent, and I think he carries it off, but the British Bluesman can sometimes be a bit of a difficult listen. I'm looking at you, Hugh Laurie.
    Agree about Hugh Laurie.

I knew he could play the piano, but when he came out with that weird "blues" voice, it was shocking to say the least.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Nunogilberto;1056335" said:
    Does my head in. I'm looking at you Joe Elliot and Joanne Shaw Taylor - the latter being the worst offender, being from the Midlands, and singing like a down home country hick...
    I listened to some JST stuff the other day and I'm not really sure she sings in a US accent (although she does live in the US and doesn't have a strong West Midlands accent, if one at all, when she speaks). She isn't naturally a very good singer and has to adapt her voice to get a tune out, hence you get that slightly breathy quality with a lot of low notes avoiding straining for high notes that would sound very out of tune (as I understand it and having been in a band with one of her former band members). Joe Bonamassa does the same thing. It is quite stylised but I wouldn't say it was an accent.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    edited May 2016
    I listened to some JST stuff the other day and I'm not really sure she sings in a US accent (although she does live in the US and doesn't have a strong West Midlands accent, if one at all, when she speaks). She isn't naturally a very good singer and has to adapt her voice to get a tune out, hence you get that slightly breathy quality with a lot of low notes avoiding straining for high notes that would sound very out of tune (as I understand it and having been in a band with one of her former band members). Joe Bonamassa does the same thing. It is quite stylised but I wouldn't say it was an accent.
    I agree with this...I also know one of her ex bandmates...but yeah, she's just not a great singer, tbh. I think there is a slight US twang to her singing accent (she either lives there or spends a lot of her time there, I believe). Wikipedia tells me she grew up in Wednesbury, which is a massive shock as her speaking voice to me sounds like a hint of the posher Brummy thing - I'd say Sutton or Solihull - rather than a yammer.

I really want to like her music but the singing puts me off.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Actually singing with breathiness is harder than singing without.

3:00 onwards. She can clearly sing, and she can sing well.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Neil said:
    Agree about Hugh Laurie.

I knew he could play the piano, but when he came out with that weird "blues" voice, it was shocking to say the least.
    You mean the voice he uses on House?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    mart;1068906" said:
    Neil said:....

Agree about Hugh Laurie.

You mean the voice he uses on House?
    No, no. That's his country voice. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom