Lazy J LJ20 owners....grow up the lot of you.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31084
edited April 2016 in Amps
I have said on these here pages that the LJ20 is a marvellous amp but not the best pedal platform and a little bit of a one trick pony (although that trick is indeed tweedy awesomeness).

I have never quite been able to have *just* an LJ20- too limiting.

However, with the gift of Rob of this parish I have an LJ40 on loan.

Jeepers- this this is incredible- it's a brilliant pedal platform, it cuts like a razor, loads more headroom, huge detail and tone.

It is best described as Brownface tonally- little more hair than a Blackface, less than a Deluxe Tweed.

It is, quite frankly, an effing masterpiece. Fantastic piece of kit, albeit it doesn't do anything other than bloody loud.

All LJ peeps- go try one of these- they are just sublime.

I shall now wipe the drool off the amp and keyboard.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    edited April 2016 tFB Trader
    LOVED the tone of mine.

HATED the volume needed to get it there (no pedals, cranking only)

NEED bigger gigs to be useful. Sound engineers hated me.

MISS it big time.

ARE you sure that's drool??
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Did you try the 35 @miserneil ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    On a serious note, the J20 IS a one trick pony albeit it does the trick extremely well. I'm thinking I need a 1x12 combo to run in stereo delivering Fender Blackface cleans as well as the J20 does Fender Tweed grind. 

What are we recommending chaps?
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    breadfan said:

No, I should have. I ordered one just on spec and then I had a long tour come in where it wasn't required so I cancelled the order. Should have stayed on the list in hindsight. Think it'd be the best of both worlds.

@BusterCrab had the J35 for a while, he might be able to chime in on this one.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31084
    miserneil said:
    On a serious note, the J20 IS a one trick pony albeit it does the trick extremely well. I'm thinking I need a 1x12 combo to run in stereo delivering Fender Blackface cleans as well as the J20 does Fender Tweed grind. 

Neil

TK Imperial.

And I may have one for sale.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1627
    or the Carr Sportsman I may shortly list

miserneil said:
    breadfan said:

No, I should have. I ordered one just on spec and then I had a long tour come in where it wasn't required so I cancelled the order. Should have stayed on the list in hindsight. Think it'd be the best of both worlds.

I'd have gone for it myself had it been around when I bought my J20 - it sounds perfect, on paper, at least.

I think BusterCrab's brief demo is the only one I've heard of it. A mini review would be great ;)

@Gassage Could you justify having both the J20 & J40?

Actually, that's a ridiculous question to ask you, I know you're not a man who struggles to justify owning gear!

@miserneil Do you think Jesse will ever bring out the EL84 amps? I sense he'd like to but just hasn't had the time to work on them, with all the J20 orders. I'd be very keen!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    breadfan said:

Actually, that's a ridiculous question to ask you, I know you're not a man who struggles to justify owning gear!

@miserneil Do you think Jesse will ever bring out the EL84 amps? I sense he'd like to but just hasn't had the time to work on them, with all the J20 orders. I'd be very keen!
    @breadfan I had a J20 and a J40 at the same time and, in hindsight, I'd love to have that combination again, it was stunning. I'd run the J40 as the clean amp.

I don't know what that mad genius is planning, I think he's got enough on his plate with J20/J40 & Cruiser orders. I also saw he'd done a special order Champ type amp too...
    (formerly miserneil)
    breadfan said:

I can only hope the modmins take a stern view of this kind of spam.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016
    JohnPerry said:
    or the Carr Sportsman I may shortly list
    Back off.... ;)

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9674
    miserneil said:
    breadfan said:

@breadfan I had a J20 and a J40 at the same time and, in hindsight, I'd love to have that combination again, it was stunning. I'd run the J40 as the clean amp.

I don't know what that mad genius is planning, I think he's got enough on his plate with J20/J40 & Cruiser orders. I also saw he'd done a special order Champ type amp too...
    Yep, it's my understanding that Jesse is unlikely to have much time for developing new amps... he is snowed under.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12027
    One month until mine !
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1494
    miserneil said:

This:

Seriously. I just got one and it is absolutely fantastic.

I also have a Carr Sportsman and a Tone King Imperial. Both great amps - especially the TK - but the Louis is just sublime
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5097
    miserneil said:
    breadfan said:

@BusterCrabb I think...
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    I think I have just died and gone to tonal heaven

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 421
    Impressive....hope the neighbours like a bit of Gilmore   ;)     
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    Impressive....hope the neighbours like a bit of Gilmore   ;)     

They have remarked how well they've gotten to know all the different live versions of the CNumb outro solo.

• BusterCrabbBusterCrabb Frets: 191
    Hi guys - yep, I had the J35 on loan from Jesse for a little while, have also had a J40 and I own a J20 and J20H.  The J35 is in-between the J20 and J40, obviously in volume but in feel as well. It does the spongy attack thing that the J20 does, but with a bigger transformer for what feels like a more solid bottom end response than the J20.  It also has the variable negative feedback which gets it close to blackface, or close enough anyway! Obviously it's all personal but if you want more of the J20 with a more solid bottom end (and the negative feedback control to stiffen things up) I'd get the J35.  If it was just for a pedal platform I'd take the J40. Me, I'd get the J35 and the only reason I'm running 2 x J20 instead of a J35 is for flexibility volume wise, and because I like having two amps running for backup reasons, rather than touring a second amp which you need to switch to if the main one goes down!

J35 is identical to a J40 in terms on controls and layout.  From what I understand it's just tweaked in the power / transformer section to make it a J35, but that makes quite a big different along with the 3x10's.

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    Can't understand.the comment - "J20's not a good pedal platform" - I love mine with a Thorpy Gunshot and just reduce the mids with an EQD Tone Job pedal - second pedal after my tuner. Highly recommended - thanks Warren aka Wazmiester. That's my J20p's worth of opinion/wisdom!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom