Lazy J LJ20 owners....grow up the lot of you.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited May 2016
    @Gassage: hey James, what about the J20? gone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    See, I told ya @BusterCrab would tell it like it is! ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30970
    @jonhosker

OK, I'll unpack that statement

There's a diff between taking pedals well and a good pedal platform. The latter to me, is a very clean amp with great dynamics that acts primarilly as a clean amp with pedals used for dirt.

THe LJ20 takes pedals brilliantly, but it's degrees of overdrive. It's not the pedal platform I tend to default to.

Hope this helps explain what I want.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    I know what you mean...My amp experience is limited....knowing what I like with the LJ base tone, but it is warm and not crispy clean. Keep playing em....
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30970
    @jonhosker

They're different. I love LJ20's but it doesn't work for me as a standalone. The 40 does.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    This chap uses a Twin, as clean pedal platform for dirt pedals, reasonably well. Amp stuff starts around 8 mins in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited July 2016
    Hi guys - yep, I had the J35 on loan from Jesse for a little while, have also had a J40 and I own a J20 and J20H.  The J35 is in-between the J20 and J40, obviously in volume but in feel as well. It does the spongy attack thing that the J20 does, but with a bigger transformer for what feels like a more solid bottom end response than the J20.  It also has the variable negative feedback which gets it close to blackface, or close enough anyway! Obviously it's all personal but if you want more of the J20 with a more solid bottom end (and the negative feedback control to stiffen things up) I'd get the J35.  If it was just for a pedal platform I'd take the J40. Me, I'd get the J35 and the only reason I'm running 2 x J20 instead of a J35 is for flexibility volume wise, and because I like having two amps running for backup reasons, rather than touring a second amp which you need to switch to if the main one goes down!

J35 is identical to a J40 in terms on controls and layout.  From what I understand it's just tweaked in the power / transformer section to make it a J35, but that makes quite a big different along with the 3x10's.

@BusterCrabb ;, How much louder is the j35 than the 20? 
    Also, are you're running a 20 and a 20h in stereo? Doesn't the 20h lean more to the j35 in snappy feel? I understand what you mean about the sponginess of the 20. Good for drive, less so for clean. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3055
    Babones said:
    This chap uses a Twin, as clean pedal platform for dirt pedals, reasonably well. Amp stuff starts around 8 mins in.

Wow! This is the only time I have ever seen anyone playing a Gretsch "Beast" BST-1000. I have one, it was my "main" guitar in the 80s.

R.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    edited July 2016
    deleted