Finished *Now with case* - 5-string slide guitar project

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 892
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the comments. I'm very happy with how it's turned out - I made it a bit more of a "proper" guitar than originally intended, and I'm glad I did, it's going to be much more useful than if I'd just built a dirt cheap slide plank.  I took it to band practice last night and it sounds really good (actually surprisingly good considering it's a pretty cheap pickup) through my Rocker 30 at silly volume :)

The bottle top knobs were a last-minute thing.  The knobs themselves are sections of broom handle dyed purple to match the body, but I was drinking some local beer and thought the black/white/gold theme of the tops would work well, so I shaped the top of the knobs a bit and stuck the lids on with epoxy.  I think they're quite a cool feature.

It's pretty loud acoustically as well for a solid guitar, which is lucky considering it was just random wood I happened to have.

The thick neck doesn't seem to bother me, so I don't think I'll need to scrape it down any thinner, although it's a fair bit thicker than my other guitars.  It's a little bit neck-heavy, but I was using a bit of string as a strap last night, so hopefully will be better with a real strap that grips the shoulder a bit better. Overall weight is about 5 1/2 lbs.

And because it's only five strings I've got a spare tuner and a couple of ferrules left over :)  (anybody want a single gold Grover Rotomatic? ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 892
    edited July 2016
    Made a case for it so I can take it out without it getting squashed between amps, cabs and PA kit. Mostly scraps of stuff I had around again, so it's ended up a bit on the heavy side (top and bottom are 9mm ply, edges are 20mm wall battons), but definitely protective. The lining is polystyrene and foam covered with some furry cloth salvaged from a Captain Caveman costume I made a few years ago for a fancy dress party :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is ace. Very clever indeed ... I picked up a really cheap lap steel. . £20. .to see if I like it and I love it. ..so will defo upgrade at some point. .. must be very rewarding, when you can make something like this and the case is a nice touch. ..
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1777
    Very cool, great case too!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Splendid! :)
  • Thanks everybody.  The case was a bit of an afterthought and really is a bit agricultural and heavy, but it'll do the job.  Should have bought some 5mm ply really rather than using the 9mm stuff, but it's what I had easy access to.  It's heavy for a guitar case but not ridiculous, and it'll certainly protect the guitar from pretty much anything.