Worst musicianship on an album ever?

What's Hot
starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
edited April 2016 in Music
Whats the worst example of musicianship on an album you have heard?

The worst i can think of is 'Philosophy of the World' by The Shaggs.

I have it on my itunes, and whilst i dont really listen to it very often, it always makes me laugh. It has a strange innocent charm to it, even though all 3 of them are seemingly playing out of tune/time on every song.

The story behind the album is actually quite interesting, and apparently its a bit of a cult indie fave.

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72949
    Wow. That makes my suggestions -Talulah Gosh, and The Pastels - sound like Steely Dan…

But here's some Pastels anyway :).

I saw them live once - they were truly dreadful, but in a completely endearing and enjoyable way. Although I haven't repeated the experience yet ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    (Whispers) Definitely Maybe?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I didnt think that Pastels song was too bad actually. At least they are all playing the same song, at the same time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    The Pastels are bloody brilliant. That is all. 

You could go and hassle Stephen from the band any time you like @ICBM ,I'm fairly sure he still works in the record shop next to your guitar shop ;) 

The Pastels are bloody brilliant. That is all. 

You could go and hassle Stephen from the band any time you like @ICBM ,I'm fairly sure he still works in the record shop next to your guitar shop ;)
    He's one of our customers ;).

I do love them too - just that polished musicianship is not the point, at all :). Seeing them play live was a whole new experience in artistic chaos :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    It's like a musical version of The Young Visiters.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've always had a soft spot for the Pastels.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Arctic Monkeys on their first album... "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" 

I feel like a lot of people held off labelling them as utter shite, after all, whatever people said they are/were, that's what they're not. ;)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    Arctic Monkeys on their first album... "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" 

I feel like a lot of people held off labelling them as utter shite, after all, whatever people said they are/were, that's what they're not. ;)
    Are you out of your mind?

Their rhythm section are insanely tight. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    I've always had a soft spot for the Pastels.
    I've got a soft spot for them now.  Was obsessed with them in 1984.  They nailed magisterial wall-of-noise neo-pshychedelia years before the shoegaze thing happened...

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I was gonna say the The shaggs when I saw the title but you beat me to it. Their music is interesting because they're not just playing normal songs badly, the songs have their own bizarre internal logic. Like "my pal foot foot" the guitar and backing vocals are definitely following and supporting the melody, but the melody makes zero sense.
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited April 2016
    shaggs always good. and there's a bizarre forlorn philosophy behind it all. totally feral.

nice call on tallulah gosh, i had a few in mind but they trump everything. all the charisma and vitality of an old cardigan soaked in cat pee. all that sickly twee c86 crap. sarah records et al.

this one is a bit of a cheat, since although bdatb recorded enough singles to fill an album, they imploded magnificently before anything so tiresome and predictable as an album could be organised. very much a case of those who burn twice as bright burn half as long. poetry in motion.

as a side note, if you want to understand why they broke up, the original rows and rivalries are still blazing wildly twenty years later in the comments sections of their youtube videos. as is only right.

i've got this one and paul power t-shirt (a pressie from john peel) tucked away for those moments i feel like smashing windows.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    Maybe not the worst ever but I remember being given a ropey cassette of this to learn by my old bass player - and it left a permanent scar on my memory.

Bruce Baxter Orchestra recording of the Hawaii Five-O theme - I think they must have been down the pub in their lunch break.

"What does this little box do? Ooooh, fuzz guitar - how difficult can that be?" 
    >:D<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkCSwVLbj0A
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Wow, never heard anything like the Shaggs before.

Jesus.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Hahahha :)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494

I have it on my itunes, and whilst i dont really listen to it very often, it always makes me laugh. It has a strange innocent charm to it, even though all 3 of them are seemingly playing out of tune/time on every song.

The story behind the album is actually quite interesting, and apparently its a bit of a cult indie fave.

Was that produced by Les Dawson by any chance?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    edited April 2016
    The benchmark for bad playing without a doubt 
    :))

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074

Sounds like The Breeders....
    tabbycat said:
    nice call on tallulah gosh, i had a few in mind but they trump everything. all the charisma and vitality of an old cardigan soaked in cat pee. all that sickly twee c86 crap. sarah records et al.

Since I forgot to post it earlier, here's Talulah Gosh… with 'Talulah Gosh' of course.

I'm not sure it qualifies though - it's actually quite well-played really, with the tempo changes and stuff. Just slightly 'off' in places, but actually much more competent than they're trying to give the impression of :).

You might like this too - The Spook School, who I have recently discovered…

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400

Are you out of your mind?

Their rhythm section are insanely tight. 
    No no, I'm sane. I've taken my medications, I promise. They were fucking awful on that first album. Album #2 onwards they took a huge leap.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/