What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    No mention of Neil Young, yet?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30987
    I give you Smelly Cat, from Friends.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• vizviz Frets: 10740
    edited May 2016
    @ICBM that Talula gosh was horrendus!

Ahhhhh Oxford in the 80's, so many memories of Talulah Gosh and the like :)

That Portsmouth Sinfonia was awesome. It sounded like the pied piper of Hameln enticing a herd of elephants into a mincing machine. Check this:
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Dear God..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    EricTheWeary;1056970" said:
    Winny_Pooh said:

I was surprised how crappy this solo is considering it's a classic.

Maybe hippies had never heard of Jimi Hendrix, Albert King, John Mclaughlin or Johnny Smith

Wasn't the solo supposed to be his take on John Coltrane?
    I *love* that solo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Adam Clayton is the most consistently awful member of a major band in the history of post 1960 music.

Worse than Bez.

There's a reason most U2 basslines are repetitive and droning. It's because he's not a natural musician.

Listen to With or Without You or Love Comes to Town. Same bloody phrase over and over.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72737
    Skarloey said:
    Adam Clayton is the most consistently awful member of a major band in the history of post 1960 music.

Worse than Bez.

There's a reason most U2 basslines are repetitive and droning. It's because he's not a natural musician.

Listen to With or Without You or Love Comes to Town. Same bloody phrase over and over.
    That's the whole point…

He's a fantastic bass player - always plays for the song, never tries to be the lead guitarist, has excellent timing, and great tone. It's not easy to stick to doing that, and consistently doing it right all the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really dont like U2, but Im not sure Adam Clayton could be accused of 'bad musicianship' as such.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    He's fucking terrible.

If you want a comtemporary with tone AND timing your man is Garry Gary Beers out of INXS.

If you want someone who is repetitive for genuine musical reasons rather than being shown what to play and fear of fucking up, I give you Jah Wobble.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like some of the vids that have been posted so far.
    Bette Davis and the Balconettes had some really fantastic raw energy!
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    I loathe U2 but the guy is doing 100% the best possible thing imaginable on With or Without You.  I'd love to hear what you think would be an improvement.  Put some slap bass in it 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Skarloey;1059277" said:

Worse than Bez.

He might be a basic player, but you're dead wrong - his timing and feel are fantastic, and I'd challenge anyone here to match the tightness with which he locks into the groove. I'd also propose that when you take the full breadth of his work into account rather than just the slow, repetitive songs, his playing's not even as simple as you'd paint it - the "Pop" album is a great study in groove with songs like Last Night on Earth and Gone, the first two albums have fantastic lively basslines, and I'd suggest that for the repetitive, *boring* stuff that you just don't get it, rather than it being bad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7301
    the mars volta
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ