Walnut strat build

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I can't get my eyes past that walnut, it looks superb.
    Thanks chilli - it's definitely going to be the visual highlight of the guitar. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have been rubbish at keeping this thread up to date, apologies. However, the guitar was completed a few days ago, so at least I can give a few edited highlights of the rest of the build process:

The wiring job - guitar has an extra mini-toggle, which keeps the neck pickup on at all times, in addition to whatever is selected via the 5-way. Master volume and tone, and the 3rd pot blends from a tapped "vintage strat" pickup output, up to a hotter output.

Unfortunately, the blend pot is not quite working as hoped, in that there is a problem as I turn down to the tapped, vintage output setting - the extra 1.5K or so of pickup wind is effectively put in parallel with the pickup, and is loading the pickup, causing a dulled tone. I don't think there is a way around this, so I will probably be changing the circuit before long. The full pickup tone is awesome anyhow, so I'm just not using the blend pot for now.

The Mighty Mite neck has been given a fret level, re-profile, and polish. Jumbo frets, 9.5" radius. Also I did some work lightly smoothing the neck finish with 0000 Liberon wire wool, and then buffed up with a bit of paper. This has given a more satin sheen kind of finish - as supplied, the MM neck had what I would call a matt finish, though MM describe it as satin. The finish is very thin also, but does give adequate protection I think, and I'm happy with how I've got it now.

The body was given 7 very thin coats of Tru Oil, just hand applied with paper kitchen towel. In between coats I smoothed with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper, and 0000 wire wool in the later stages. I chose to deliberately not fill the grain - going for a naturalistic kind of look I guess. Once the Tru Oil was on, and after a couple of weeks to cure reasonably, I then used some Birchwood Casey "Satin Sheen & Conditioner" which is sort of like a very fine version of T-Cut, designed for use on Tru Oil. It basically takes away the harder gloss, and leaves a satin sheen kind of finish, as the name would suggest. Again, going for a natural vibe. Came out very nicely anyhow...

Hopefully you can see what I've ended up with is the grain being enhanced, but not too much of a reflective gloss kind of finish. I was really going for a satin kind of finish, which I feel works better with the satin-finished neck.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Shielding for the pickup and control routings, done with self-adhesive copper tape.

The second shot shows how I've gone along the seams joining the various pieces of copper with a line of solder. Could have avoided this if I'd had copper tape with conductive adhesive - but I didn't! I find I manage OK with the solder anyhow.
    I'm not usually a big user of the trem, so for this one I decided I'd just have the bridge set permanently against the body, and so have installed 5 springs. I use 11-49 strings FWIW, and find at least 4 springs are needed even if I do want to set the trem floating.

Work on the nut slots, just using nut files to get the slots to the right diameter and depth. I have fitted the neck with a new bone nut - the stock nuts on Mighty Mite necks are a rather so-so plastic job, so less than ideal.

...however, I would say that in other respects, I'm quite impressed by the MM neck - the maple used seems excellent quality, and well-installed frets. Also the truss rod is beautifully smooth to adjust, and works very responsively, making the setup relatively easy. I've fitted a single string tree - could have fitted a second one, but it doesn't really need it, and I prefer to keep the headstock looking cleaner.
    So, caught up now, and I really just wanted to show off the finished lovely. Really chuffed with how it's come out looks-wise, and early indications are that it's a very nice instrument to play, and in terms of the tone (although still some modding to do with the wiring). The action is set kind of low-ish, about 1.2 mm at the high E 12th fret, and 1.5 mm at the low E string. Bass player in a band I play in thought it had a bit of a Clapton vibe about the sound, which I'll definitely take! I think the maple board, and walnut body do give it a very definite, clean attack to the notes, but it's not harsh either.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Now, that is a very desirable Strat. Stunning work.
    Just a few more...  :D

Nearly forgot (how could I?), but a huge cheers to Jooky for selling me the lovely Guitarbuild walnut body for a ridiculous £45 delivered - hope you approve of what I've done with it Jooky! Also thanks to Phil at www.guitarbuild.co.uk for sending me several walnut blanks to test finishing options on, despite the fact I hadn't bought the body directly from him - a top bloke. And cheers to everyone for following the thread, sorry it's been a bit sparse, but hope it's provided some entertainment at least. 
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Proper tasty.
    Now, that is a very desirable Strat. Stunning work.
    Thank you, much appreciated! It's my 4th project build, and although I'm very happy with the others, I think this one might be the best thing I've done. :)
    Proper tasty.
    Cheers TPD!  :)
  • I still love it. First refusal, remember. ;)
    I still love it. First refusal, remember. ;)
    Thank you! Promise I won't forget re the first refusal ;) , although at the moment I'm rather liking this new walnut lovely myself I have to say. 
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    That's gorgeous, nice build, love the walnut body/maple board, just needs a floyd/bridge humbucker and your own (deserved!) headstock logo.
    :D
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Looks great (have a wow). Does remind me a little of my grandparents furniture, but I'm sure it sounds better than theirs.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That is proper gorgeous - that walnut came up beautifully, and the maple 'board definitely works well with it - nice job :)

Cheers guys!

@Doug - the floyd and bridge humbucker will have to wait for another build I'm afraid!. And I know what you're saying re the logo, but I can never think of anything I like enough, plus I like the existing thin, buffed finish on the neck, so don't want to lose that by having to spray over a decal. So it will remain a clean headstock for the time being.

@imalone - cheers for the wow. I kind of knew I might be straying somewhat into "furniture guitar" territory - not very rock and roll I guess. But I play mainly jazz, so I'm not too worried. I do have a sideboard to compare with, and yes it does sound better! :D

@JookyChap - thanks! agree the maple works visually - that was actually a concern, my instincts told me a dark rosewood or ebony board would look right, but I really wanted a maple board strat. Somehow the scheme with the black scratchplate and pickups/controls, plus the chrome hardware makes it work. Also the neck could not have been the vintage tinted kind of finish I think - had to be a natural-coloured maple, so in that respect, the Mighty Mite neck was perfect. Anyhow, all your fault I did this build at all, so glad you approve... :D
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16735
    Maple and walnut is like chocolate and cream.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Simply gorgeous.