In praise of simplicity

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
in FX tFB Trader
This was the entirety of my rig last night:

and it was pretty cool.

Just the Amplifire into the desk 3 sounds (compressed funky clean, slightly pushed tweed, plexi on fire with delay) and that did the gig. No tap dancing, no complexity. 

I asked someone who watches our band quite a bit if it sounded any different and he said it sounded pretty similar to him, we got rebooked and the landlady paid us extra because she really enjoyed the set. 

So why would I bother dragging a head and cab and a massive pedalboard to a gig again?

I'm sure it's a phase, but I'm really seriously thinking about selling off all my gear and buying either a Helix or a Kemper.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Nice! As much as anything I think it's good to mix things up a bit from time to time. Glad it worked out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28833

I'm sure it's a phase, but I'm really seriously thinking about selling off all my gear and buying either a Helix or a Kemper.
    Why not stick with the Amplifire if it's working for you?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    So why would I bother dragging a head and cab and a massive pedalboard to a gig again?
    Coz it sounds better ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7817
    Sporky said:

Gotta say - if it worked, sounded good and made you happy - why change? At least stick with this for a few gigs, to see if any issues present themselves. Then you can buy accordingly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27326
    As they said, if it ain't broke... (get a spare!)

Punters don't care. And if I'm honest, neither do most of us. I was at a wedding with a really good funk/soul band the other week. Guitarist played a US Standard Strat throughout, through an HRD. Couple of pedals that I couldn't tell when they were on or off (assuming compressor and low-gain dirt, certainly nothing extreme).  

Honestly, he played great, his basic tone was perfect for the material and nothing else mattered.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    Sporky;1058312" said:
    monquixote said:

You are right but that's not how gas works
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28833
    You are right but that's not how gas works
    :D

Fair point!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Sounding great out front is one thing

But if I don't like what I'm hearing and FEELING coming back to me then I'm going to play worse and become fatigued quickly
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:

Gotta say - if it worked, sounded good and made you happy - why change? At least stick with this for a few gigs, to see if any issues present themselves. Then you can buy accordingly. 
    Yeah my plan is to try it for a while and see how I get on. 

I think a power amp is probably my next move because at the moment I don't have the ability to play gigs where we aren't doing the PA. 

I do need to sort out a couple of things as I could do with a dedicated tuner, a wah and some kind of boost for moments when I need a bit more of the same. 

The Helix appeals as I could also use it as a pedalboard with a traditional amp if required. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540

Punters don't care. And if I'm honest, neither do most of us. I was at a wedding with a really good funk/soul band the other week. Guitarist played a US Standard Strat throughout, through an HRD. Couple of pedals that I couldn't tell when they were on or off (assuming compressor and low-gain dirt, certainly nothing extreme).  

Honestly, he played great, his basic tone was perfect for the material and nothing else mattered.
    Thing is, a US Strat into a HRD is a great set up so no wonder it sounded good (with a good player behind it of course). A CS Strat into a boutique fender style amp would be only small percentage improvements on this theme.

Now if he played a cheap Strat copy into a crap solid state amp, I wonder if he would have sounded so good.

I think it doesn't matter after a certain level (then maybe you're in it for your own pleasure / inspiration) but I think punters are smarter and care more than you suggest.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

But if I don't like what I'm hearing and FEELING coming back to me then I'm going to play worse and become fatigued quickly
    I don't know why people LOL'd this. He's exactly right.
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    I use in ears so it sounded good to me. 

The only slight issue was that the lack of acoustic coupling reduced the sustain a bit, but I had a bit of compression in the patches so it was fine. 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited May 2016
    I've been using a pedal train nano + a tech21 blonde due to the limitations to bring gear on the train and for this specific band it's sounding much better!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I was doing some pedalboard modification this weekend but just for a laugh I went straight in to the amp. Result, pedals all being sold, life better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've been lured by the idea of a kemper or helix for a long time

If I got a helix, I'd have to leave this site, too gas inducing!

Kemper is still very much in the radar, and I can keep my pedal board!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I gigged for 6 months using an AMT SS11-A and a delay pedal, gone back to a head, cab and pretty big pedal board. Does it sound any better? Probably not but its fn to have a change! Thinking about a Helix too :)
    Drew_fx;1059433" said:
    johnonguitar said:

I don't know why people LOL'd this. He's exactly right.
    Lmao did I get 2 lols for that?

I bet they're Squier owners...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    cbellanga;1059458" said:
    I've been using a pedal train nano + a tech21 blonde due to the limitations to bring gear on the train and for this specific band it's sounding much better!
    The Blonde is a great sounding pedal
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27326
    edited May 2016
    dindude said:

Thing is, a US Strat into a HRD is a great set up so no wonder it sounded good (with a good player behind it of course). A CS Strat into a boutique fender style amp would be only small percentage improvements on this theme.

Now if he played a cheap Strat copy into a crap solid state amp, I wonder if he would have sounded so good.

I think it doesn't matter after a certain level (then maybe you're in it for your own pleasure / inspiration) but I think punters are smarter and care more than you suggest.
    Of course. I don't disagree that a CS into a DRRI might have sounded better and a Squier into a big Mustang might've sounds slightly less good. Just that it *really* didn't matter what specific pedals or rig he was using in the context of the band as long as it was the right style and - mostly importantly - his playing was spot on.

Having said that I'm happy to add this is true for a 6-piece funk/soul band with horns FAR more than it might be for a 3-piece blues trio.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires