What's Hot
JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
edited May 2016 in Amps
Just got this link from JCA.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jtm45-style-amp#/

Interesting - perhaps Marshall should take a few hints
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• $1000 for a jtm45 with master volume and loop... Seems a lot more expensive than other jet city stuff.

Why can't it be pcb based? Would make it much cheaper, and they could still have a nice quiet layout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    edited May 2016
    I got a notification this morning that said 799USD per amp.

EDIT: Ah, I see that is for the basic version only

• koss59koss59 Frets: 857
    Is it just me or do the sound clips sound like a really shit digital modeller? A JTM 45 isn't capable of sounding that bad.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    koss59 said:
    Is it just me or do the sound clips sound like a really shit digital modeller? A JTM 45 isn't capable of sounding that bad.
    You've clearly never heard me play through one....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

the title JTM 45 clone, is not what I wanted to hear and quite different from the thread that DigitalScream posted saying "based on" which I thought was very interesting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Sounds terrible (and silly noisey) in that clip. The modding thing is interesting, but the base model being just rebranded Chinese clone - that makes Jet City no more interesting than Harley Benton.

I think this is what some of the amp makers where commenting on in digitalscreams thread, the Jet City stuff was an original design farmed out to cheaper labour but designed so well it was hard to screw it up, now building clones ? hmm.

That said, I bought a Jet City, based on the stuff I'd read I found it impossible to understand how they could be as good as people said but at such an offensively low price, I took a blind punt on the one that seemed to interest me the most, and it's a fantastic amp, is it as good as say a £1900 version of the same voicing amp, sound wise, there wasn't much in it, quality wise, hard to fault, attention to detail/where the costs are cut, yeah you can see the difference a mile away, things like hiss levels, so with this in mind, I'd be interested to see how their JTM clone compares against a more boutique clone or an original, but clones isn't where I saw Jet City going from my limited knowledge of them.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    My God!
    That sounds horrendous. A very annoying sound. Even painful.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Surely they missed posting this by a month??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The problem with that demo is that it was done by the guy who's going to be modding them - the first demo he put up was done using a phone mic. In front of a cranked JTM45. You can imagine how that turned out.

The whole "clone" thing...I don't think this is something you'll see them repeat. There's another, much more original design that's going to be hitting the streets in the next 4 months or so...two channel, Martin Kidd-designed (I believe), and much much better.
    <space for hire>
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think this may damage Jet City's Reputation, they are selling something that isn't an original design for a price that is way higher than their other products. It may be a good amp, but it isn't a Jet City amp.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Yes, definitely a step in the wrong direction for Jet City IMO
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    If it sounds good and is good value for money (which at those prices, it is) then it's a smart move.
    There's been a huge recent surge in people buying single channel amps, it makes perfect sense for JCA to be in on that. It may be a departure from what they're known for but it can only be a good thing to have more choice in the market place, it'll make other brands take a look at what they're doing and maybe inspire different designs.

Nobody here has played through one yet and we all know that judging through YouTube clips has too many variables to be an accurate representation of how the amp actually sounds. Let's wait for some real world experience before we send in the lynch mob.
  • All the above may be true, but I still think they'd be more popular as a pcb amp built entirely in house (and just do the "ultimate" version - loop, master volume and cascaded gain stage). Not to mention a bit cheaper (not that it's pricey as is, but hand wiring is for folk who want to pay more money for a boutique amp - not those who want to sound great without maxing the credit card).

All in my opinion, but for that money you could probably pick up a second hand, good condition jtm45 reissue from Marshall, which is a well made, hand wired amp that looks beautiful and sounds amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So for example, if I had around a thousand dollars to spend... And knowing conversion rates and tax, it's probably about 700 quid... I'd probably save a tiny tiny bit more and get a Victory sheriff or something. Seems Marshall voiced, sounds great with the gain lower and with single coils (from the namm demo, what that's worth...) and capable of way more gain than a plexi with plenty of roar to it.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6826
    And only a 90 day warranty? 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72666
    edited May 2016
    All the above may be true, but I still think they'd be more popular as a pcb amp built entirely in house (and just do the "ultimate" version - loop, master volume and cascaded gain stage). Not to mention a bit cheaper (not that it's pricey as is, but hand wiring is for folk who want to pay more money for a boutique amp - not those who want to sound great without maxing the credit card). 

All in my opinion, but for that money you could probably pick up a second hand, good condition jtm45 reissue from Marshall, which is a well made, hand wired amp that looks beautiful and sounds amazing. 
    At that price it's significantly more expensive than a perfect-condition used Marshall JTM45 reissue, and I know which one I'd rather have if I want a JTM45. (Although it's not hand-wired.)

I see no benefit in hand-wiring for this sort of thing, I'd far rather have a high quality PCB amp like the other Jet Citys - and if I want a single-channel amp, then there's the JCA20H. All they need to do is make a bigger version of that if they think there's a gap in the single-channel market in the 30-50W range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NerineNerine Frets: 2211
    I guess it depends on what it streets at in the UK.

I listened, admittedly on my phone, and thought the clips sounded alright, but it's pretty impossible to judge it accurately at this stage.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm surprised they put sound clips that bad on there.

It'll be interesting to see a uk price but it's looking a bit overpriced imo.
    wish they hadn't used the visuals of the Marshall, I saw the first vid and thought it was a prototype case, now it's just a visual rip off of a marshall too, bit disappointed with whole thing to be honest, I've arrived at the Jet City party very late, but from everything I've read and been told, this is not their thing at all, and I wonder why they are doing it ?