Weird: What is the best super cheap home practice amp/in-car amp?

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5114

So my bass/rhythm guitar player is a cab driver, and has recently been sending me whatsapp messages of new material played acoustically on an electric. And it sounds diabolical.

He'll never buy himself anything, and has just had a milestone birthday so thought if its cheap enough, I'd like to get him some form of guitar amp that he can use at home, and if possible, while out in his Taxi.

He rents the taxi so no changes can be made there, so I was thinking maybe something battery powered - but are all of these pretty poor sounding?

At the end of the day though, I want it to sound decent if possible great, and am happy to compromise on portability for this.

Options I've been thinking about:

Vox Pathfinder 10

Vox VX-I Special 15 Watt

Those micro amps from Marshall and Orange

Any thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Blackstar Fly is a brilliant little amp.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    dindude said:

That looks pretty cool actually! Thanks for the input.

I should add, that a good clean sound is just as important as a rock tone. He probably spends most of his time on guitar playing funk or ACDC style music.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Many car audio systems can accept Bluetooth audio. If a suitable amp can do the same???

Dave.

• goatgoat Frets: 98
    Another vote for the blackstar. Its miles ahead of the mini oranges and marshalls and the batteries seem to last forever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Irig?
  • The blackstar fly is astonishingly good sounding for something so small. Blew me away, really - it sounds decent, as opposed to "tolerable ish" like most other tiny amps.

There is also the blackstar ID core, not sure if they run on batteries mind. Bit more expensive as well.
  • Another vote for the Blackstar Fly. Genuinely good and you can get a good clean sound.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    the Roland micocube is also worth a look
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    terada said:
    dindude said:

That looks pretty cool actually! Thanks for the input.

I should add, that a good clean sound is just as important as a rock tone. He probably spends most of his time on guitar playing funk or ACDC style music.

It gets a good clean too, and the delay is great for adding a bit of sweetness to an otherwise dry sound. I'm not a fan of the Blackstar sound overall but for what it is, it's genuinely good.

I also got a LOL for my suggestion, I think I've told funnier jokes but a fret is a fret so I'll take it

:)
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    The Blackstar is good, but a second-hand Yamaha THR5 seems to go about £60ish these days, might be worth a look too