The jazz rock thread

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Post your  favourite videos ..

I quite like Mike Stern and Gong so this is up my street ... Mike's playing Ronnie Scott's in July ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7301
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12449
    edited May 2016
    Fretwired;74550" said:
    Post your  favourite videos ..

I quite like Mike Stern and Gong so this is up my street ... Mike's playing Ronnie Scott's in July ..

Nice. Is that Jerry Goodman on violin? Edit: just spotted it's not. Lol.

I like a bit of jazz rock too, the only thing I find mildly annoying is a lot of the modern guitarists seem to use the same over-chorused warbly effect.

Anyway: here's a bit of Jukka Tolonen for you
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I admit I didn't really like that 'jazz chorus' type sound for a long time, but what the hell. I can hear past it for the privilege of listening to Stern. he is a very tasty player.

Here's one to take it back to one of the sources of it all: Mahavishnu Orchestra, 1972, and to save people sitting through all of it in this 45 min clip, if you skip to 24 mins there's some lovely interplay and improvisation between Billy Cobham and John McLaughlin.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3934
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4737
    Have to say I hate jazz-rock with a vengeance.  The term is an oxymoron as its neither jazz, nor rock and does absolutely sweet FA for me.  Give me some pointless, never ending prog widdling with faeries any day.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    rlw;1061438" said:
    Have to say I hate jazz-rock with a vengeance.  The term is an oxymoron as its neither jazz, nor rock and does absolutely sweet FA for me.  Give me some pointless, never ending prog widdling with faeries any day.
    Probably not the right thread for you then....
  • vizviz Frets: 10739
    We have to have some Greg Howe here so I'll go for Jump Start off the Introspection album. Beautiful.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12015
    Skarloey said:
    I admit I didn't really like that 'jazz chorus' type sound for a long time, but what the hell. I can hear past it for the privilege of listening to Stern. he is a very tasty player.

Here's one to take it back to one of the sources of it all: Mahavishnu Orchestra, 1972, and to save people sitting through all of it in this 45 min clip, if you skip to 24 mins there's some lovely interplay and improvisation between Billy Cobham and John McLaughlin.

I still can't tolerate his over chorused sound, I'm amazed he hasn't tired of it himself - it's horrible
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6200
    viz said:
    We have to have some Greg Howe here so I'll go for Jump Start off the Introspection album. Beautiful. image
    And that my friends is an absolute masterclass in rock-fusion.
    Just blows me everytime I hear it. Kudos to @viz for this
    ;;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited May 2016
    @tonecontrol Do you mean Mike Stern?

If so I know what you mean. I've started threads on the typical modern jazz guitar tone here in the past. Partly through considering what people said in response, and partly through what's my own changing taste, I don't have an instant dislike of it now.

But yes, I see exactly what you mean.

@viz Never heard Greg Howe properly doing his own stuff, but I heard him on a Jeff Beck tribute album, so will give that a close listen. :)

edit: duly listened too.

Oh wow. He's like a combination of Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer! Superb.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    edited May 2016
    Not necessarily 'Jazz-rock' per se - but lots of Pastorious-like fretless from John Giblin and more harmonic and rhythmic sophistication than a lot of stuff; John Martyn's exceptional 'Grace and Danger' album:

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    It's Jazz (sort of), it's Rock (a bit)

Can't usually stand the genre, though
    Stop crying, start buying
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12015
    Skarloey said:
    @tonecontrol Do you mean Mike Stern?

If so I know what you mean. I've started threads on the typical modern jazz guitar tone here in the past. Partly through considering what people said in response, and partly through what's my own changing taste, I don't have an instant dislike of it now.

But yes, I see exactly what you mean.

yep, A great player, would sound excellent with any normal clean tone
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

The track is actually written by Philip Catherine the guitar player in the clip.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12449
    Skarloey;1061191" said:

I can forgive Mr McLaughlin for his tone, he's still the master of jazz rock for me. I wish he'd revisited some of the Mahavishnu material more regularly during his career, it was seriously epic and groundbreaking stuff.
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    I got into Jazz-Rock via this album. I'd read that Deep Purple guitarist Tommy Bolin had played on this album, so checked it out. It's a fairly accessible for a rock fan wanting to check out jazz rock. All the playing is fantastic, especailly Bolin's guitar playing on Stratus. Jeff Beck has stated that it was the album which inpired him towards jazz, later covering Stratus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H4gfJaYqZY
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5027
    edited May 2016

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7301
    Reverend said:

Considered posting some atheist too but I prefer cynic even though they obviously are inspired heavily by atheist
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ