Egnater Tweaker 15 shorted PT

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    kjdowd said:
    @not_the_dj @velvetsky01 - do you remember the make of the PT that blew? I'm told that mine has the updated one in it (and it has certainly got a fan which is part of the 'official' fix) but I'm wondering whether I just get an MM one to avoid any potential issues. Mine has an Elite transformer.

I'm loving the sounds I can get out of it, so keen to make it reliable!
    @kjdowd whatever the stock one was for the early Tweaker 40 heads. Didn't have a fan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71
    Yes I think it must have been 2011-2012 I bought it
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279

This thread is making me nervous!!

I've had a Tweaker 15 since 2011, works great, quite a sound for such a cheap amp. No reliability issues as yet but maybe I've just been lucky so far.

To be fair, it's not getting as much use since I bought my MJW but it's still a handy small gig/rehearsal amp.

Is one of our amp repair guys wiling to put a ballpark figure to this sort of repair so I can prepare myself for the worst should it come to that?

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I have also had an Egnater (a Rebel 30 2x12 combo) for a couple of years and have gigged it regularly. It's has been lifted in and out of cars and vans, been exposed to minus temperatures in the winter and high temperatures in the summer. It's on casters and has been rattled over car parks and pavements.  I have never had a crackle out of it.

They are great sounding amps and my experience with them would definitely not stop me from getting another.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Rowby1 said:

Is one of our amp repair guys wiling to put a ballpark figure to this sort of repair so I can prepare myself for the worst should it come to that?

You can get a transformer for a typical 15-20W amp for between £40-80, but you'd need to find one that had the correct(or close enough) voltage secondaries.

An hours labour to fit. Obviously it won't be a 'drop-in' replacement, but it should be possible to find one that can be made to fit.

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    @MJW pretty much bang on the money, thanks to Mike at Modulus, he has an 18watt PT with the exact B+volts, it is a bit of a faf to fit as there is limited headroom inside the cab, but you can use the original brackets with a bit of cutting and carving :-) 
    I will post some pics later. 

Just got another one to do now!
    edited May 2016
    Not quite finished, but close enough, I did dress the leads in a little neater  before it went back in the cab image
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    That's neat - getting a non-physically-identical transformer to fit without it being a bodge can be very tricky.

It looks substantially beefier than the original too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM, thank you for that, I was quite pleased how it turned out, the good news is we know that Mike at Modulus has them in stock, good quality at a sensible price :-)

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Really hoping I don't get any issues with the PT cos I had a rehearsal with the 40w version on Friday as it really is a cracking sounding amp. Usable FX loop as well.