Which small valve amp

What's Hot
AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
edited May 2016 in Amps
Hi. After many different amps and GAS I'm ampless. I play at home will never gig and like blues and blues rock. tried a 68 Princeton which I liked a lot but it blew fuses every other time it was turned on so I walked away. Before I buy one any other options? Carr Mercury or Sportsman (coda have the sportsman for £1549 which seems a great price) Any experience of these or other low wattage home friendly amp So? I'm a big fan of the fender tone the 68 washer at but quite noisy. Cheers
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    Lazy J. Otherwise you'll go to hell when you die.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12030
    I had a Carr mercury
    Sounded nice
    in a 70s detached house with the windows closed, the teacher over the road with a migraine was crying at 8pm that it was "too loud", even though my wife downstairs couldn't hear it.
    There is no way of eliminating complaints from neighbours, who think that petrol mowers sound fine, but think that a musical instrument is not, so what are your objectives? Just quieter? What sounds -clean? 

for most people, I'd recommend an Axefx or Kemper tbh

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No experience with either. For home I have a 5w Laney Lionheart. Top class sounds.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31756
    A 68 Custom Princeton which isn't broken? That gives you an awful lot of change from £1549.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5080
    edited May 2016
    Yamaha THR10C? Not valve but plenty loud enough. Cornell do nice small valve amps with attenuation, so we'll worth looking at.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • p90fool;1061865" said:
    A 68 Custom Princeton which isn't broken? That gives you an awful lot of change from £1549.
    I, too, would think about this. Sounds like you were unlucky, they're generally well regarded for both sound and build so looks like you tried a lemon.
  • x-valves4everx-valves4ever Frets: 104
    Matchless SC mini combo is great amp for home use...one on Ebay right now...

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Just to be clear, am I right in thinking that you are interested in the boutique end of the market only?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi. Thanks for the comments. I managed to pick up a 68 Princeton custom for £400. Mint condition and a bargain
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Hi. Thanks for the comments. I managed to pick up a 68 Princeton custom for £400. Mint condition and a bargain

Wow bargain and a half
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom