Carr Mini Mercury vs Skylark

mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
Hi guys,

my first post here, would love the benefit of your wisdom.

First of all, I know that the only way that you can know for sure whether an amp is going to suit you is by trying it. and feeling it's response. Unfortunately, I'm currently living out of the UK, so trying amps myself has proven impossible, so I'd value your opinions. I'm currently living in East Africa, and have to bump down unfinished dirt roads with my rig - therefore reliability and bomb proof build are essential.

My current rig is an Orange AD30htc, which has a fantastic crunchy channel one (not so keen on the more fizzy second channel). I also have a Carr Rambler, which is an incredible amp. Very clean. This gets used in my studio for cleans, and I take it out to gig with, using a range of pedals for dirt sounds.

Now my dilemma is this: I'd like to expand the palette of tones I have to aid in my studio work. The amp has to cover tones not covered by either of the other amps. I have a 6L6 driven amp (Carr) and EL34 (Orange) so it seems something with 6v6s makes sense. I've been tempted by Swart but not entirely convinced with road worthiness bumping down African dirt roads, and the Lazy J is out of my price range unfortunately. My experience with Carr tells me to stick with the brand. Love the sound and build quality. 

Ever since I saw the demo I have been lusting after a Skylark. Primarily for the crunchy blackface OD to insane tweedy drive. My concern is - as I already have a Rambler, would this amp duplicate what I already have?

The Mini Mercury is another option, but as I already have a British voiced El34/AX7 amp, would the mini Merc cover some of the same bases?

If you have hands on experience with either of these amps I'd love to hear your experiences.

cheers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    As an addition to the mix, anyone using the Cornell plexi 7 with a 12inch cone?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    I've owned a Rambler and a Skylark at the same time, and they are compatible together...

The Skylark is a very versatile amp, and much more versatile than the Mercury.
    cheers @Wazmeister

Did you find that the Skylark covered a lot of similar ground to the Rambler?
    was it different enough?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why did you let the Skylark go? Chasing a different tone?

cheers
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Skylark and Rambler completely different and would compliment each other...

The Rambler is pure cleans; the SL breaks up and offers heavier tones.

Actually, I p/x my SL for a Lazy J :)

But next week, I'll be playing the new Lincoln.... hmmm
    hahaha! Nice.

Always wanted a J20, and that Lincoln looks ridiculous.

I can only imagine the goodness of a channel switching Carr.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Go for a Vox tone -its very different to what you have
    Matchless, Bad Cat, Carr Lincoln - they always 'sing 'with a treble booster