In Praise of the Boss ST-2

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
I picked up one of these cheap off gumtree a while back and have been quite surprised how good it is.
If doesn't get much mention on these forums, but it really is very versatile.
It goes from classic crunch right to brutalz mode and works really well into amp VSTs.
Definitely worth checking out if you are after a single flexible pedal.

Here's a great demo by Tom Qualye

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I've got its sort-of stable mate the Combo Drive on the way. I'll check back in when I've tried it.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited May 2016
    I preferred the combo drive as the ST-2 cant really go down to zero on the gain, and a cranked AC30 sounds gainy and "british" enough to the point where I was happy using the combo drive for meatier sounds.
  • The st-2 is nice, but had a certain something that grated me a bit. The combo drive is nice though, and the da-2 is, in my opinion, a much underrated gem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6117
    The DA-2 is an excellent drive pedal, I've not heard anything exactly like it. The definition it gives to each string and note is uncanny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Just tried the Combo Drive very briefly and my first impression is it's very, very good indeed. One happy customer here.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited May 2016
    The DA-2 is really cool because the note definition makes chords sound huge even through a little combo amp. Its a bit heavy metal voiced though, the DS1x is a more versitile version of the same concept.
  • hugbot;1062428" said:
    The DA-2 is really cool because the note definition makes chords sound huge even through a little combo amp. Its a bit heavy metal voiced though, the DS1x is a more versitile version of the same concept.
    I found the opposite was true, the ds 1x was very heavy - even low gain it was quite distorted and thick. The da-2 can be clean with a strat.

Wonderful pedal though, loads of good sounds.
    Skarloey;1062416" said:
    Just tried the Combo Drive very briefly and my first impression is it's very, very good indeed. One happy customer here.

I liked the one I tried, too! Very cool sounds.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Sounded great when I had one...I was a bit less impressed when I used it in my band at volume...as with other digital distortions really........
  • siraxeman;1062541" said:
    Sounded great when I had one...I was a bit less impressed when I used it in my band at volume...as with other digital distortions really........
    I found the st-2 had a bit of a nasally sound when it was loud, and I couldn't quite dial it out. So close...

But, that said, I don't think it was 'bad' as such, just - I just preferred my guvnor plus at band volume.

The da-2 is excellent at all volumes and is one I don't think I'll get rid of. I think these days so many people want "ampy" drive sounds they forget that not-ampy works great too. Like the rat. The da-2 can be ampy, but the amount of detail it "resolves" on complex chords is not like any amp I've heard. More like the axe FX profiles for djent bands almost.